Polar RCX5 or Garmin 310XT

scuzzy

Morning all

I am starting to look at getting a new multisport device, my Forerunner 305 seems like it has served it's purpose now. I started looking around for the Garmin 310XT and came across the new Polar RCX5 which seems really stylish and the reviews look good.

Just wanted to know if anybody here has it and if they can give some input regarding this new "watch" or would the 310XT be "The One"

Thanks

I have the 310XT and like it for its simplicity and ease of use for multisports events, however the current version of software they have out (3.70) is useless and gives incorrect readings for altitude gained. I have raised the issue on the Garmin Forums but have had no response. Have a look at the other problems on the forums there.

In so far as the Polar is concerned, I can't comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

I am starting to look at getting a new multisport device, my Forerunner 305 seems like it has served it's purpose now. I started looking around for the Garmin 310XT and came across the new Polar RCX5 which seems really stylish and the reviews look good.

Just wanted to know if anybody here has it and if they can give some input regarding this new "watch" or would the 310XT be "The One"

Thanks

I am also looking at the RCX5 and 310XT. Anybody using the RCX5 for multi-sport training?

I am also in the market for a new heart rate monitor/bike computer to use for triathlons. I saw the Polar RCX5 for the first time last night and it was love at first sight. The issue I am having now is which one to choose(Bike,Run or GPS).Ideally I would like all the accessories but I will have to buy the rest a bit later. So the question is, which one to start off with. I am thinking GPS as it is the most discounted in the bundles at only R200 more than the others. The big issue is that nobody in PE has stock of it an I want it tomorrow,not in a weeks time! The other thing I am worried about is that it wont measure distance training indoors(pool and treadmill) So i will see how I feel when I wake up in the morning, second option will be to go with the Bike bundle and not worry about the GPS for now :)

I have the RCX5 (bike), which I use for cycling and running. but havent used it in the water yet. Also, have minimal accessory sensors, so quite a bit limited. WIll be getting the cadence, stride and G5 GPS units end of september, so sometime after that be better able to give some sort of feedback.

But so far, i'm very happy with the unit. The only thing i'm not too stoked for at this stage is PolarPersonalTrainer, the online version. it's quite limited. The software version for home PC use is not compatible with the RCX5, so you pretty much stuck with the online version. updates are coming thru that better support the RCX5, but honestly, it's a work in progress (what software isn't!)

Edited by Capricorn

Just got call from Polar South-Africa to say that unfortunately they are out of stock at head office and in PE. Great service from them calling around PE checking the stores. So I am off to Totalsports to pick up my Bike bundle and get 20% cash back from Discovery Vitality :clap:

I will keep you guys updated.

ramcat: the bike bundle only has the CS Speed sensor. not even a cadence sensor.. ultra meh.

Other items in the 'bundle' is a handle bar mount for the watch, speed sensor cradle, magnet and tie wraps.

ramcat: the bike bundle only has the CS Speed sensor. not even a cadence sensor.. ultra meh.

Other items in the 'bundle' is a handle bar mount for the watch, speed sensor cradle, magnet and tie wraps.

It comes with a cadence and speed sensor as well as usb stick for uploads.

Great unit, have been using one for almost a month now.

I have the RCX5 (bike), which I use for cycling and running. but havent used it in the water yet. Also, have minimal accessory sensors, so quite a bit limited. WIll be getting the cadence, stride and G5 GPS units end of september, so sometime after that be better able to give some sort of feedback.

But so far, i'm very happy with the unit. The only thing i'm not too stoked for at this stage is PolarPersonalTrainer, the online version. it's quite limited. The software version for home PC use is not compatible with the RCX5, so you pretty much stuck with the online version. updates are coming thru that better support the RCX5, but honestly, it's a work in progress (what software isn't!)

Personal trainer can be incorporated with the Protrainer 5 for pc. but not mac.

dangle: so u say develop your training program in Protrainer, upload to Personal trainer, and then download to the RCX5?

sensors all set-up and waiting to be tested in the morning.It did come with a cadence sensor too. Not sure if i like the look of the handlebar mount..... Its going to have to be a really early ride so I can justify cracking my 1st beer and fire going by 7:30 for the boks:)

• 5 months later...

Right, so it's been a while since this thread looked like dying, anyone tried it for longer period? There's now anew Garmin out there and I'm even more confused. I really like the Polar and can't decide which would be better all round.

Any ideas?

Edited by Jigghead

Right, so it's been a while since this thread looked like dying, anyone tried it for longer period? There's now anew Garmin out there and I'm even more confused. I really like the Polar and can't decide which would be better all round.

Any ideas?

I might be a little biased towards the Garmin as I have been using my 310XT for swimming, cycling, running, gym etc and it is very easy to use, does not have a bunch of accessories to carry along, GPS works just about anywhere, great for multisport and has loads of data.

I cannot comment on the RXC5, but my wife had the Polar RS800CX. Very good looking watch with loads of data and much smaller than the 310XT, but you need an accessory for just about everything before you can start using it effectively. The GPS unit was crap. Regularly lost signal and the batteries had to be replaced every second week. With that unit you had to send the watch in to Polar to replace the battery. So you are without your training watch for a period of time, which is very irritating if you are an active athlete. Her heart rate monitor strap and foot pod also started giving problems. She has since switched to the 310XT and is loving it.

Having said all this, the review of it seems pretty good. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/06/polar-rcx5-in-depth-review.html

I would therefore go for the new Garmin 910XT. From what I have read it is even better than the 310XT. I am just not sure when it will be available in RSA. Review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html

Edited by ADe