Can I run Shimano WHR-601 wheelset with 7spd cassette?

Cuppa Bru

Hey Hubbers

Got me a pair of Shimano WHR-601 super cheap and want to put them on my bro's bicycle before I give it back to him after many years of abuse.

The current setup is 7spd and I would like to hear from someone who has tried modding a 10spd wheel for a 7spd drivetrain whether putting in a 4.5mm spacer as suggested in the link below will work.

http://forums.roadbi...hub-215471.html

Edited by mitychondrion

Hey Hubbers

Got me a pair of Shimano WHR-601 super cheap and want to put them on my bro's bicycle before I give it back to him after many years of abuse.

The current setup is 7spd and I would like to hear from someone who has tried modding a 10spd wheel for a 7spd drivetrain whether putting in a 4.5mm spacer as suggested in the link below will work.

http://forums.roadbi...hub-215471.html

As long as it fits on the hub, it will work.

Not sure what the deal is with the spacer tho

Put the cassette on - if it has no movement on the freebody then you are OK. If there is movement (ie play or for lack of a better word, movement along the freebody), then you would need a spacer.

It might be there because the older bikes had a shorter rear axle so the spacer might be there to make up the difference.

I ride 8 speed - have 2 sets of 10spd wheels and one old school DA 8 speed wheelset -have to adjust the derailer to make it work for the two different wheelsets.

Hope you come right! :thumbup:

The WHR-601 freehub is "10-speed specific" - can't use 9 or 8 speed either (something to do with a modified freehub flange design to force you to upgrade!)

I have a set of these wheels, but haven't got a 7 speed cassette to try on there so I'm afraid you're only going to check the above one way, just see if it works.

• 9 months later...

The WHR-601 freehub is "10-speed specific" - can't use 9 or 8 speed either (something to do with a modified freehub flange design to force you to upgrade!)

I have a set of these wheels, but haven't got a 7 speed cassette to try on there so I'm afraid you're only going to check the above one way, just see if it works.

Just in case any else was wondering.

Turns out one can't fit a 7-speed on the new 10-speed specific freehubs. Bummer.