Specialized Roubaix Pro II Tyres

Rydogg

I just got a new set of tyres.

I haven't managed to find any definitive reviews for them yet, so I thought I would share my experiences so far.

Please just note that I am not a roadie at heart (MTB FTW) and have limited experience in road bike products. This is my third set of tyres in my roading career. Feel free to disagree with me.

Product:

Specialized Roubaix Pro II, 700x23/25c, aramid bead, 120TPI

Features:

• Improved durability and puncture resistance over previous version

• Casing: 25c 120 TPI casing

• 700 x 23c dual compound tread

• Dual radius Tread (DRT) design for low rolling resistance and great cornering

• Compound Center: 70a

• Compound Shoulder: 60a

• Bead: Aramid

• PSI: 115-125

• Approx. weight: 240g

To start, I got them for the “Roubaix factor”. That is, the rough road durability. I thought that they would be great on the rough cycle lane from Table View to Town for my daily commute. Well, I wasn’t wrong. The rubber is so soft and squishy, even when pumped to 8.5 bar. It just soaks up all the little stones, uneven tar, paving, sandy sections and even hopping the pavements is way easier. I just love the ride comfort.

But, with soft tyres comes the puncture risk problem. I haven't had any issues yet, but I can imagine they are a little less puncture resistant than most tyres.

The tyres effectively have 2 radiuses. The inner radius (black part) is the 23c and is supposed to be the normal riding surface with low rolling resistance. The outer radius (red part) has a bit of a lip that sticks out and gives it the 25c. I found this to be a bit of a hoax. Anything below 8 bar, the red parts still touch the road slightly and you feel it. So, you have to try and focus on keeping the tyres as straight as you can, so that as little of the red part touches the road as possible. The rolling resistance is huge with these tyres. It feels like they are very fat and constantly flat. They are also by no means light at 240 grams. They are definitely training / commuting tyres, and not racing tyres.

That said, the cornering is peaceful, to say the least. As soon as the bike tilts, even just slightly, the outer parts kick in and it feels like the tyres are sucking onto the road, like octopus tentacles. I love it. Sure you might lose a little speed around long corners, but you will feel more confident at tackling them at higher speeds.

So, to summarise:

• Ride comfort – Great :thumbup:

• Rolling resistance – Not so great :thumbdown:

• Cornering & Handling – Great :thumbup:

• Looks - Average

I hope I haven’t bored anyone.

Over :P

post-20229-0-65497600-1314864286.jpg

Edited by Rydogg

I had them on my Roubaix - like yours, that's what mine came with. I really enjoyed their durability however their rolling resistance was terrible. When I switched to a racier tyre it was almost like I was riding a different bike. I wouldn't go back. I think there are better tyres out there that are equally as durable and offer better performance. I've got some nice bomb proof bontrangers at the moment.

I assume its developed for the cobblestones so they should be durable and with good puncture protection. I'll give them a bash! What do they retail for?

Please just note that I am not a roadie at heart (MTB FTW) ... and even hopping the pavements is way easier

Clearly :lol: Dude, you are not suppose to be hopping anything on a road bike!

Clearly :lol: Dude, you are not suppose to be hopping anything on a road bike!

I know you don't really mean that :) Knowing how to do a proper bunny hop while in the drops at 40km/h plus is an essential skill to have on SA roads, considering the all the pot holes, broken glass, bits of construction material, speed bumps, etc.

To be honest I hop more on my road bike than I do on my mtb.

Back to the Pro 2's: My rear lasted 3 rides before I swopped it out with the same Bontragar's that camerons uses.

The hopping Rydogg is referring sounds slightly different than the bunnyhop you and I know. He is talking about hopping pavements and what not, you need some sort of trick bike or mtb at least ;)

Without a doubt the bunnyhop is an essential must have skill for any roadie! It makes your life easier and saves your tubbies and carbon wheels from getting banged up.

With enough speed and a well timed bunnyhop, you can even clear railway tracks :thumbup:

The hopping Rydogg is referring sounds slightly different than the bunnyhop you and I know. He is talking about hopping pavements and what not, you need some sort of trick bike or mtb at least ;)

Without a doubt the bunnyhop is an essential must have skill for any roadie! It makes your life easier and saves your tubbies and carbon wheels from getting banged up.

With enough speed and a well timed bunnyhop, you can even clear railway tracks :thumbup:

Ja, these fancy multi compound euro tyres don't really have any use on our roads (my opinion). I've just reached a point now that I'll find a tyre as bulletproof as possible and stick with it - esp. if commuting and don't want to be on the side of the road for the second time in a morning trying to replace a tube.

To hop pavements: zap tap.

Forgive my cross polinated BMX opinion, but this is what I see as a bunny hop.

What I was talking about is when you get to the dipped sections of pavements, sometimes it's not a smooth transition. Either you ride super slowy over the bumps, or you lift your front and back wheel alternatively to reduce the chance of getting snake bites.

I have never bunny hopped MY road bike. :D

Foldable.

Not sure where you can buy them. They come with the Specialized Roubaix bikes.

Oh damn. 30K for tyres!

My '09 Specialized Roubaix Comp came with the Roubaix Comp (not II) tyres. I got a puncture on my first ride from a huge slash in one of the tyres and haven't used them since. Gatorskins FTW!

• 2 months later...

Ok, 2 months and 2,000km down and these tyres are finished. Totally crap and a waste of time.

Small stones, glass, etc from our wonderfull Cape Town roads started digging into the soft rubber and just sat the, slowly making their way deeper into the tyre. Now I sit and dig out pieces of glass, stones etc. and they leave holes in the rubber. Small pieces of rubber also started coming off.

Anyway, just my rant - no more soft tyres!