trails in jhb

huffingnpuffing

hello to all, ive been away from jhb for abut 4 years and am coming home for about 10 days in early dec. (with my bicycle). I was hoping i could get some help with some good riding in and around fourways-cradle area-hartebeespoort dam. I will be staying in fourways and out in magaliesberg and would appreciate any information so i can hit the ground running when get there.

Thanks in advance

Van Gaalens

Groenkloof

Rietvlei

Northern Farm ( Weekends & Holidays only)

Thaba Trails (new)

Breedtsnek

Use the search function and you'll get plenty info.

Welcome home!

Dont forget the Spruit, really accessible and under rated! Plus if you're looking at a longer loop it links up with Emmerentia, Melville Koppies and Alberts Farm.

Dont forget the Spruit, really accessible and under rated! Plus if you're looking at a longer loop it links up with Emmerentia, Melville Koppies and Alberts Farm.

thanks for the info all, looking forward to it.

used to live in melville and could ride through koppies, alberts farm onto emmerentia and all the way to leeukop prison in kyalami. Is this still possible - ive heard they closed access along some parts for security reasons.

used to live in melville and could ride through koppies, alberts farm onto emmerentia and all the way to leeukop prison in kyalami. Is this still possible - ive heard they closed access along some parts for security reasons.

i wont ride in melville koppies on my own.

from alberts farm to delta park i often ride alone and never felt unsafe.

put funtains on your list too.

I went up to Linksfield Ridge yesterday on a reccie for a loop mtb route. I used to come in from Cyrldene side with my bike, then along the top, down to Huddle Park side until the residents fenced it off. But there still is an entrance from the north, mid way.

What I found was very disturbing: there is a whole informal sector industry going up there processing stolen cable. Some of the mature Proteas trees have been cut / taken. Wattle is growing abundantly.

Problem is since it was fenced off, no one really traverses the ridge so this is what happens. I wont be leaving it there: will be contacting local councillor, Parks Dept. etc

In terms of the route, there is a possibility for a loop along the base of the southern side of the ridge, they looping up for a return along the top, some tasty technical bits and decent climbs. If 'we' cut a route there, here will be another option.

The ridge is public property, and used to be pristine. Great views. Its ours. Let's use it.

As well, used to stay just behind the koppies on the Westdene side.

There were some issues, but I think the RA, security and SAPS have tackled problems there. Have ridden a few times there lately with no issues. Other than todays off the bike excursion into the graveyard fence. :blush: