New MTB... what to get?

quickdraw

I am in the market for a new bike.

I am not aiming at winning any races so now full blown race bikes. Essentially what I am looking for is a bike that will climb reasonably well/ok'ish and descend with a decent sofa like feel - wnt to enjoy messing around at Tokai and also want to enter the odd 60k ride/race.

Not sure on the 29er thing although there are a few options that seem to appeal to me. Here is a list so any other options or opinions on listed options will be welcomed.

Price range about 30k

1. Specialized Camber Pro29er

2. KTM Phinx 1.29

3. Cannondale Jekyll 2011

Please throw more options my way.

the jekyll, cause its the coolest (when in an immature mood), I reckon the KTM if you want to be all grown up about it and the camber if you are somewhere in between and want a good balance between immature and un-immature

I reckon you should also look at the Trigon. With full XX (I mean FULL) throughout and two sets of wheels - American Classic for racing and Intrepid for training, the R43k tag is a steal. Everything on there is carbon - seatpost, stem, the lot.

Besides, the paint job is incredible, I haven't seen anything so nicely painted in a long time.

post-1761-0-85747400-1315070616.jpg

Edited: Should read XX, not X0

Edited by Johan Bornman

You could pick up a pretty awesome 2nd hand bike with that budget if you are willing to be patient...

Hmmm, tough choices

Sorry Johan, that Trigon is a a bit too much over budget.

Had been think ing about the Trek Fuel EX, but can't seem to find one in CT (at the moment, although just started to look around). Anyone know of a LBS besides CycleLab that stock them?

Without starting a catfight - most of the sales guys seem to punt the 29ers... for those that have used both 26er and 29er is there that much of a difference and what is the biggest difference in handling, etc.

Has anyone tested the KTM Phinx - looks like a good buy - full 2012 XT (except wheels), fox suspension?

2012 giant anthem x0 is going at 27k

That is the best value for money bike on the market.

The Trigon is all carbon though. You shouldn't compare the two in the same price class. The price-points are different. There's nothing wrong with alu, don't get me wrong and I think the Anthem has done more for full-susser biking than Karike Keusenkamp has done for Sun City Superbowl.

I've ridden both the anthem and ex 9 and I love them both. Anthem is a great XC bike and handles well, but an ex 9 with a talas fork is so much more versatile! Climbs well and flies down the trail.

I've ridden both the anthem and ex 9 and I love them both. Anthem is a great XC bike and handles well, but an ex 9 with a talas fork is so much more versatile! Climbs well and flies down the trail.

Whats the weight difference like? or can you not really feel it, the anthem is supposed to be lighter but i've only heard great things about the Ex9. Do you have any critisms of the Ex9, and do you know where i can test ride and Ex9?

Edited by Palaeodom

Hey Palaeodom,

I can't think of anything about the ex 9 that I don't like! I have an 07 model which is heavy, bout 2kg's heavier than my wife's anthem. The ex is a more versatile bike an more comparable to the trance. I've done lots of XC stuff on the ex as well as a few downhill trails. It handles the downhill trails well, and my balls give in way before the bike reaches its limit.

my balls give in way before the bike reaches its limit.

Mabe you should put your seat lower.:D :D :D