Burry go back to basics

martelpypie

Looking back at the Worldcup cross-country series 2011, Burry has had equipment failures so often, that it actually handicapped him in achieving good results at many races.

I may be totally wrong, but i think he must go back to basics for cross country (not marathons). He was doing exceptionally well on his 26" machine, with much less technical issues at major races..

The guys like Kulhavi and Todd Well who also ride 29" bikes, are over 1.88m tall, and the bigger bikes fit them like a glove.

I feel he can perform to his known potential on a nippy 26" that fits him properly, so that he does not have to force on a 29", make errors,crashes and damage his equipment in the process.

I also think that in the process of making the 29" very light and able to compete with the 26" machines, they use parts that are more prone to failure when crashing.

What do you think of my theory?

Edited by martelpypie

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years back Burry won on the Champery leg of the World Cup, likely with his 26" epic, and he is 174cm tall, so no real need for a 29er because of height. His 29er for the last round of the WC two weeks back was 7,9kg, which is super light, so ja, I think you have a valid point

I think you just want to start another flipping 26 vs 29 debate.

What does Burry say, I would be rather keen on his theory?

And what do you mean basics, what basics? If you are sponsored by Spez, you have access to the best top of the line equipment, surely you would want to use it?

Edited by Tankman

sorry your argument makes no sense, broken chains and handlebars have nothing to do with wheel size........

Guest agteros

Maybe it should rather be an argument of trading weight for durability, like they did in the Epic?

With all the sponsored quality equipment available today, surely there is no reason to suffer from breakages during a race?

Ok, not sure how the fall(slip in corner) he had affected the bars, but still...

sorry your argument makes no sense, broken chains and handlebars have nothing to do with wheel size........

100% Agreed with ROCK!!!!!!!!!

Chains, handlebars.... I see nothing that is 29er specific in this equation.

ROCK, you rock!!!

I also think the 29'er suits the taller guys (& ladies)

Mr Kool reckons he won that sprint at the last world cup because of his 29" wheels so .... I think its just him, he is the best.

Burry has also been using those elliptical chain rings (that they bring into SA, forget the brand) it seems that hasn't been hassle free.

Yes, back to basics please and use what equipment is right for the job.

Edited by kosmonooit

I think the cranks are called Rotor.

I think Burry is well capable of owning any bike he rides.

I read somewhere that he likes his 26" wheels. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think the cranks are called Rotor.

I think Burry is well capable of owning any bike he rides.

I read somewhere that he likes his 26" wheels. Correct me if I am wrong.

You remember correctly - he likes playing on his 6'er. Brings it out when he wants to have fun. But he prefers his 9er for races.

I think every race he is caught off guard by the fast start, drops back a bit and then comes back towards the front.

Anyway, he's still super good.

Maybe a 26er does suit him better, but he can do what he wants.

or his sponsors prefer it for racing...

Sauser is also sponsored by Specialized and he prefers to race 26.

Uhm, I beg to differ.

You see, having bigger wheels alters your riding style. Burry seems to be "slower" in the technical stuff. Which means he now seems to over compensate and thus seems to fall off a lot more. And falls damage equipment ie. handlebars, RD's etc.

Bigger wheels need more leg juice to get them turning. Again, I think because of the bigger wheelsize and the new gear ratios on a 2x10 coul possibly account for broken chains/RD's etc.

Burry just looks more at home on a 26'er.

I am not saying 29'ers are wrong (Although I think 29'ers are just marketing mumbo jumbo) - I am saying 29'ers are wrong for Burry!

Sauser is also sponsored by Specialized and he prefers to race 26.

But Sauser has raced a 29er this whole season, hasn't he?

Uhm, I beg to differ.

You see, having bigger wheels alters your riding style. Burry seems to be "slower" in the technical stuff. Which means he now seems to over compensate and thus seems to fall off a lot more. And falls damage equipment ie. handlebars, RD's etc.

Bigger wheels need more leg juice to get them turning. Again, I think because of the bigger wheelsize and the new gear ratios on a 2x10 coul possibly account for broken chains/RD's etc.

Burry just looks more at home on a 26'er.

I am not saying 29'ers are wrong (Although I think 29'ers are just marketing mumbo jumbo) - I am saying 29'ers are wrong for Burry!

I agree with you, 29er's are great for marathons but for XC only riders like kulhavy (huge) should be riding them...in my opinion.

Of course burry knows something we don't or spez just wants their riders to ride 29ers, didn't they all rider 29er's this year? Kulhavy, Stander, Sauser, Wells...