Devon Valley rd, Stellenbosch

Reg Lizard

Yesterday I went upto the top of the tarred road past the Devon Valley Golf club with my road bike. It looked like the tarred surface continued down the other side.Checked this morning on google earth and saw that the road eventually links up with the Polkadraai rd. It would appear as if there is a small stretch (±500m) which is not tarred surface. Has anyone done this road with their road bike and what is the condition of this road- down the other side( stellenbosch side).

Thanx

About 5.0% gradient from the bottom to the top with a section that goes up to 6%. Upto where I turned around (at the top) it was 2,3km, so good training.

Edited by Reg Lizard

Not too sure if it actually runs through though, because we were at The House of JC le Roux a few weekends back, which is at the end of the Devon Valley Road from Adam Tas side. A friend's GPS took him via Devon Vale to JC le Roux, but he ended up in front of a big locked gate - so it might be possible, but you'll have to scale that gate....

It is "technically" possible to ride up Devonvallei climb and then connect to Polkadraai. Only problem is that the short section of dirt road goes through the JC le Roux farm and its blocked by an electronic gate. So you need to know someone to open the gate for you.

PS - its an ideal climb for your intervals and we use it quite often for training. Not many cars and just about the perfect length for a 4-5 minute effort.

There is a pedestrian access area to the left of the gate (coming from Stellenbosch side). Nice route and I use to do the Polka Draai bottelary route using that section to connect the two.

The pedestrian access area is actually 2 the right when coming from Stellenbosch side and you will have to get of your bike.

My (somewhat delayed) 2 cents worth here...I frequently ride that route, on both MTB and road bike. As rpedro said, the gravel section is quite smooth, just the short section where the dirt road joins with the tarred section, there are sometimes a few potholes and loose gravel. Take note of this, as it is at the bottom of the hill when you come from the golf club side. This section coincides with a sharp left hand turn and a steep little drop.

I regularly ride from home via Polkadraai through Kuils River and then back via Bottelary and then over Devon Hill and back home. Cuts out the section on the R310 past Kayamandi. As was mentioned before, there is a gate across the road at JC le Roux, but there is a rideable (with MTB) or walkable (with roadbike) bypass on the uphill side of the gate.

Edited by HomerSimpson