Bike to work

Rifi

Hi All

The following message was received from PPA:

Spring is in the air... Let's all cycle to work on Wednesday 7 September! Organise your life so that you leave some clothes at the office the day before, and - c'mon - cycle to and from work on the Wednesday. See the news section and commuting section on the PPA website for more info.

Who is up for group rides? I am leaving from the Zeekoevlei/Grassy Park area to Foreshore/Cape town. Anybody interested in a group ride? leaving at 06:00

I work.... 60 odd Km from Home ..... with quite a few climbs ...... not a chance.

Well, I would if there was a shower at work. So no, I choose not to ride to work just to save the people at the office or post ride stench :blink:

I work.... 60 odd Km from Home ..... with quite a few climbs ...... not a chance.

Well, I would if there was a shower at work. So no, I choose not to ride to work just to save the people at the office or post ride stench :blink:

Doesn't Shan Wilson live out your way and commute to the CBD every day?

Doesn't Shan Wilson live out your way and commute to the CBD every day?

Yeah he does (last I know of), but his ride is mainly downhill to CT :thumbup: I however work in Gordon's Bay, so LOTS of climbing :thumbdown: ..... also, Shan is in a league of his own compared to me <_<

Also, Shan only rides into town, then catches a train to Wellington in the evening after work.

Yeah he does (last I know of), but his ride is mainly downhill to CT :thumbup: I however work in Gordon's Bay, so LOTS of climbing :thumbdown: ..... also, Shan is in a league of his own compared to me <_<

Also, Shan only rides into town, then catches a train to Wellington in the evening after work.

True, for Shan its probably a leg loosener to work off the lactic acid from his real workout...

Damb , you actually lucky, i need to make my commute longer just to get in a 60km ride in the morning as well as go look for hills , would be nice to just ride straight in with hills and distance . dont complain just ride it.

C'mon Tiny K, it's Bike to Work day so you can afford to be a little adventurous - use it as a test session and warn everyone that you might not be as fresh as usual (or take a cozzie and dip in the sea when you get there). Seeing as I work 5 minutes from home, my summer ride becomes Rondebosch - Constantia Nek - Suikerbossie - Kloof Nek - Observatory. 50k's of the best fun in the world.

Guest agteros

Need to drive the kid to school, drive back to home. Change over to the bike, and then cycle the 2.5km to work. Cycle back home in the afternoon, then change to the car, fetch the kid from school, drive the 2.3km back home, change to running clothes and then drive to track for a training session. Drive the 2km back home in the dark?

Nopes, too much time wasted changing mode of transport. I will just stick to the car :)

Need to drive the kid to school, drive back to home. Change over to the bike, and then cycle the 2.5km to work. Cycle back home in the afternoon, then change to the car, fetch the kid from school, drive the 2.3km back home, change to running clothes and then drive to track for a training session. Drive the 2km back home in the dark?

Nopes, too much time wasted changing mode of transport. I will just stick to the car :)

Get the kid a bike. Start a "Bike To School Like Everyone used To Do In The Old Days Before Video Games" initiative.

Get the kid a bike. Start a "Bike To School Like Everyone used To Do In The Old Days Before Video Games" initiative.

:thumbup:

This is a fallacy. The stench is caused by old bacteria and sweat. Shower before you ride, then take a facecloth and wipe yourself down in the washroom sink when you get to work (make sure you cool down a little first). Then an application of deodorant and you'll be perfect for the day.

A shower is nice, but certainly not a necessity...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

The following message was received from PPA:

Spring is in the air... Let's all cycle to work on Wednesday 7 September! Organise your life so that you leave some clothes at the office the day before, and - c'mon - cycle to and from work on the Wednesday. See the news section and commuting section on the PPA website for more info.

Who is up for group rides? I am leaving from the Zeekoevlei/Grassy Park area to Foreshore/Cape town. Anybody interested in a group ride? leaving at 06:00

Err, seeing that I do this all the time can I use the car instead on 07 September? Oh crud, the date is in the past :unsure: .

Cool idea though. It will force cyclists to ride single file. Something they seem unable to do these days. (It's not possible to do the "group gang bang thing" when the traffic is stop and go and a bike goes faster than the traffic flow.)

Did my first commute to work today with Dash82 from Lonehill to Midrand - what a great ride! 22km with 442m elevation gain.

Did my first commute to work today with Dash82 from Lonehill to Midrand - what a great ride! 22km with 442m elevation gain.

Welcome to our world .... those who commute .

I hope on a ss?