[Event] Marc's Simonsberg Paarl Rotary MTB Challenge

duringd

Marc's Simonsberg Paarl Rotary MTB Challenge When: 10 September 2011 Where: Backsberg Wine Estate, Paarl, Western Cape Category: MTB

Preparations are well under way for the Marc's Simonsberg Paarl Rotary MTB Challenge to be held at Backsberg Wine Estate on 10 September 2011.

Start Times

Long Route 45 km to start @ 08h00 (serious climbs)

MEDIUM Route 36 km to start @ 08h30

Beginners SHORT Route 19 km to start @ 09h00

This exciting annual mountain bike race aims to bring as many enthusiastic cyclists as possible to the Paarl Valley. Organized and managed by The Rotary Club of Paarl under the auspices of the Pedal Power Association (PPA], the proceeds go towards numerous community development projects.

Held for the first time last year, the race proved an instant success with mountain bike aficionados and enquiries are streaming in for this year’s event. Competitors face a tough challenge with the route up and around Simonsberg. Cyclists face an added challenge with a floating bridge over a dam near the finishing line. This promises lots of thrills and spills to entertain spectators.

The MBT Challenge is made up of a tough 46km long route, a 36km medium route and a 19 km beginners race. The long route requires more technical riding skills than the average PPA fun ride and is aimed at the fit rider. Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult.

Family activities for the day include a jumping castle, glass blowing demonstrations, horse riding, wine tasting and a wide selection of foodie experiences.

On-line entries have opened and are available on www.paarlrotary.co.za

Go to Event Page

post-3523-0-93340500-1315212324.jpg

Edited by duringd

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Onfortunatly I will have 2 give it a miss. Doing the Orbit tour de Worcester the next day. Awesome race and would have loved 2 do it again.

It's a pity the route doesn't include some of the singletrack that was used for the 24hr race at Wiesenhof. This would have more then made up for the 'safety portage' on top of the hill.

Am I getting that profile right? 2200m climbing in 45km, ohh i'm gonna be swearing at myself a lot, but I'll have to do this one.

Edited by Eugee

I'm keen! But not sure whether to attempt what looks like a pretty tough 46km or go for the standard 36km?

Anyone with past experience have any thoughts on how tough it actually is?

G

Onfortunatly I will have 2 give it a miss. Doing the Orbit tour de Worcester the next day. Awesome race and would have loved 2 do it again.

Chicken!

Do both, like a real man! Worcester is flat and over before you know it.

Can I download the garmin file for this one somewhere or does anyone perhaps have a garmin file from last year?

I'm keen! But not sure whether to attempt what looks like a pretty tough 46km or go for the standard 36km?

Anyone with past experience have any thoughts on how tough it actually is?

G

it is a great race! the 46km has one particular climb which is about 7km long and gains 800m of vertical...thes rest is great, techincal and hilly.its a hard race but as long as you pick your pace it should be good!

So sad this is a PPA ride :thumbdown: I am still waiting for my membership - two years now and refuse paying again, rather pay to rotary instead and do any ride any time I like in these mountains around us.

it is a great race! the 46km has one particular climb which is about 7km long and gains 800m of vertical...thes rest is great, techincal and hilly.its a hard race but as long as you pick your pace it should be good!

Cheers for that Brussel. I'm entered - see you there :)

Would someone pls upload a profile of the 36km race today if they have it? I was unable to finish the race and would like to know if it's really 1200m of climbing for next year, as the starter said?

I did the long route, and probably took on a bit much, given my fitness levels, but I completed, so I am chuffed. I had ridden in the area before and wanted to explore new territory...

Two things that come to mind:

1. The PPA seeded batch system. Has anyone ever explained to the PPA that MTBkers don't ride in bundles like roadies!? They insist on breaking up the cyclists into these small groups with garrisons of officials mincing about to herd the crowd and within 500m from the start the mini-group is all split up and all over the place. It really goes against my idea of the free spirit of the mountainbiker. I can understand that there might be a need for some form of seeding, but then at least make fewer and bigger groups. In my opinion 2 would be enough (depending on the number of participants) or make it three or four if you want, but this silly notion of groups of 25 riders (my guess) as in today's race, is just silly and out of touch with the situation. Fortunately there were some nice tractors in the vicinity, so I could divert my frustration by switching off and looking at the equipment.

2. After the top of the long climb there is a long stretch of steep downhill which was a walking/sliding affair today. I realise the bit of rain in the beginning complicated matters, but even so, it is too steep and would have erosion issues in the future. I suggest one leaves the climb at a slightly lower level and builds a single track to connect to the jeep track that is more rideable and erosion friendly. I had a feeling of "I just sukkeled like crazy to get to the top, and now I have to sukkel to get back down again!"

The 10 minute break with hotdog, coffee and banana was very welcome and the vibe at the finish was great (possibly due to the good company and wine, but that is another story...)

Great ride but for me a bit of a stuff up -

1)Several people taking shortcuts - I know some long riders who only recorded 32k's and bumped into a few others on the route who readily admitted to shortcuts. Also the control at the stop was a little "loose" and some set off well before their 10 minute time. I know they're mainly cheating themselves but they still appear in the results!

2)Many didn't make the time limit - me included - should maybe have been a bit longer given the route and conditions. Only 8 in my seeding group (MG-MI) made the cut-off, 5 from MJ and 3 Temps. I would have if I didn't have the extra admin of sorting out my missing pre-entry and therefore a late start (That and a broken chain).

I couldnt ride as i am sick in bed, i did the race last year and loved it, was the turnout less than last year?