"Free-Loaders"

MtbBarbie

It would be interesting to see how many of you have noticed these people at races? On Saturday at the Nissan race I finished ahead of 5 girls racing together only to find not one of them came up in the results?

I know of some that 'train' other people during races but surely they should still enter the race, not just rock up and ride!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Race organizers should have pre race inspections - in the start gate.

Only fair - I had to pay to ride there!

I agree, some sort of batch entrance inspection would work!

on the day, the boards are still distinguished by an "unknown colour" race/batch sticker, so that should not be an issue, and even if you had race specific boards, i think it would still be very difficult to monitor. I know that event organisers have tried having a timing mat before the start, but even that is difficult to see if someone does not make the requisite "beep".

Retrospectivally, if the timing chip is integrated into the board then you could monitor those with a "result" versus those who are not in the entry file and issue some sort of warning system.

At the end of the day, i suppose you need to hope that it is an immoral few.

If they don't start and finish with the funride, can you really take them off the public roads being used? My assumption is for road. But I get your point.

I agree, some sort of batch entrance inspection would work!

The problem is that most of the free loaders do not start in the chutes, but wait for the bikes to come past, where they are hidden in the veld. Then they attack like crazy and create chaos. Sometimes even riding for another friend who HAS paid an entry and now just ride along to either pace their mate, or ride negatively so that you cannot get past them.

Or even just some random checks(1/2 people checking your marathon/half marathon sticker that should include the event's name as the batches roll forward...also check that okes arent not starting in the wrong batches which happened again this weekend). If you get caught, you are never allowed to enter another advendurance race again. It's just as good as stealing :thumbdown:

Arnie commented on seeing a couple of D's in the C and B batches

Or even just some random checks(1/2 people checking your marathon/half marathon sticker that should include the event's name as the batches roll forward...also check that okes arent not starting in the wrong batches which happened again this weekend). If you get caught, you are never allowed to enter another advendurance race again. It's just as good as stealing :thumbdown:

Arnie commented on seeing a couple of D's in the C and B batches

not mtbbarbie maybe? and i wouldn't say a couple... it's a pair :blink: :lol:

The problem is that most of the free loaders do not start in the chutes, but wait for the bikes to come past, where they are hidden in the veld. Then they attack like crazy and create chaos. Sometimes even riding for another friend who HAS paid an entry and now just ride along to either pace their mate, or ride negatively so that you cannot get past them.

?? I must say I am very surprised to even be reading this type of thread or to even think there are people out there who do stuff like this :thumbdown: perhaps i'm a little naive when it comes to my fellow cyclists :blush: