Crater cruise 2011

Eckardt

Hi guys!

I am doing the crater cruise for the first time this year.

Does anyone have any information on training and how the route looks like? Just want to make sure I am ready.

Thanks.

It's long, and dirt roads are VERY corrugated. Last year the temperature got up to 40 degrees, so was VERY hot and very dry. It's a good long distance training ride, as for the fun factor, i rate it 5 out of 10 :D . That being said, I will be there again...

Luckily they have taken out the big climb in the middle of the game reserve at about 40km's for the amateur riders.

Route isn't particularly technical, it suits the roadies.

Oh and half way you can clock out for 30 minutes at the waterpoint without a time penalty.

If its hot, its hell! And thick sand next to the river adds to the mix of misery. Water points: some were good, other lacked love.

I do it every few years, keep on forgetting how unpleasant it can get. But with milder weather its more enjoyable. And an amazing part of the country, but that's me with a impact crater fetish.

If your'e suffering halfway in the 56km race, you might as well stop and enjoy the mini cheese grillers and vetkoek at the water point. Some guys even so for a swim in the river.

They should move the 1/2 stop next to the river: was a bit unpleasant there in the bush last time, all the shade was taken. My Garmin registered 46 Deg last year :o

Ja, not super technical, but as youl hear from anyone thats done it .... the corrugations will make ur eye balls wanna fall out!

and last year the single track that runs along side the river had really thick, really soft "sense of humor" testing sand/silt..

but heh, we dont mountain bike coz its easy, and the pros WAY outweigh the cons and its a great sense of achievement finnishing that mother :thumbup:

Rule #1: Pace yourself from the start.

That being said, I failed to do this 5 years in a row!

Rule #2: Pace yourself...

Get the picture?

It's long, and dirt roads are VERY corrugated. Last year the temperature got up to 40 degrees, so was VERY hot and very dry. It's a good long distance training ride, as for the fun factor, i rate it 5 out of 10 :D . That being said, I will be there again...

Luckily they have taken out the big climb in the middle of the game reserve at about 40km's for the amateur riders.Route isn't particularly technical, it suits the roadies.

Oh and half way you can clock out for 30 minutes at the waterpoint without a time penalty.

Aggenee!! Wonder why, only real technical tester in the whole event! :thumbdown:

Aggenee!! Wonder why, only real technical tester in the whole event! :thumbdown:

Must say, I like climbing, but Im not sad to see it go, I punctured 3 frikking times up there last year, added an hour to my time....:thumbdown:

For the first time i will be doing the 106km on that saturday to try and better my best time. And then just for giggles i will do the 56km on sunday with the wife.

Exactly how bumpy is this race? I have a few back issues and I'm not supposed to do too many high impact activities. So was wondering how close to "high impact" the 56km on a softtail would be...