Cracked frame

JacquesT

Took bike in for a major service today and i have been told i have a cracked frame. Where top tube meets seat tube. Can this be repaired such that is as good as new or is this a poor idea?

Bike is a 2009 Giant anthem x1 - aluminium frame.

It is under warranty but i am certain i no longer have the original invoice? Trying to get a copy of proof of payment from bank but not sure if this will suffice.

Just trying to figure out my options here!!

rgds

THE SHOP YOU BOUGHT IT FROM SHOULD HAVE A COPY OF THE INVOICE!!! TRY IT.

they need to keep that copy for 5 years...

sounds like your seat post may have been too high if it cracked there. I hope you are able to sort this out with your LBS, because they(their supplier) may argue this point.

My thoughts exactly!

I have emailed them and await their response. By law they have to keep it for 5 years and it has to have all my relevant details on it.

This is of course the theory and i look forward to getting their cooperation in this regard.

Nonetheless, out of interest, can something like this be repaired properly?

Dragon sports are the wholesalers. If all else fails give them a call. I think the number is 021 461 6252....

but.....this is a last resort. You must go through your local bike shop first. They will know what year the frame is in any event.

These giants have been very reliable bikes so this is unusual. As someone said earlier could be your seatpost was too short :huh:

I have no idea when the crack actually occurred as I never noticed it. My seat was quite high but presumably not beyond what is in the normal range and I am riding the correct size frame (large).

Maybe just one of the reasons why we need a warranty.

A big thumbs up to CYCLE LAB NORTHGATE for their super efficient service!

I requested a copy of the invoice for the purchase in 2009 late yesterday afternoon via email and it was in my inbox before 8am this morning!

I know a lot of people are quick to complain about bad service but we must be just as quick to acknowledge better than expected service too.

Thanks Howard - much appreciated!!

Rgds

Jacques

sounds like your seat post may have been too high if it cracked there. I hope you are able to sort this out with your LBS, because they(their supplier) may argue this point.

Dont you perhaps meant to say that "it sounds like the seatpost was not inserted the minimum distance"? as far as I know there no such a thing as seatpost to high, as long as the minimum amount has been inserted into the frame....most seatposts are marked.