Fox Fork, Steering feels loose

AIRMAVRICK

Hope someone can help me, I took my bike apart to put in a bicycle bag a week ago and now I have put it back together and the steering sounds loose.

There is a knocking noise, as if the fork is loose? I checked the bolts and screws and everything is tight.

Is it just me, never noticed it before?

Sounds like your headset is loose...

Maybe the wedge collar between the underside of the top cap and the top bearing race has not seated properly? Well that is if you have a threadless headset?

Hope someone can help me, I took my bike apart to put in a bicycle bag a week ago and now I have put it back together and the steering sounds loose.

There is a knocking noise, as if the fork is loose? I checked the bolts and screws and everything is tight.

Is it just me, never noticed it before?

Yup very common fault, Try this

Loosen the two bolts holding the stem onto the fox steerer tube, then tighten the bolt that runs vertically down through the steerer cap that pulls the fork up tight against the head set. Dont over tighten.

Once this bolt is tight then only tighten the two bolts holding the stem onto the steerer tube.

This should fix the problem, Good luck

Yup very common fault, Try this

Loosen the two bolts holding the stem onto the fox steerer tube, then tighten the bolt that runs vertically down through the steerer cap that pulls the fork up tight against the head set. Dont over tighten.

Once this bolt is tight then only tighten the two bolts holding the stem onto the steerer tube.

This should fix the problem, Good luck

By loosen, he means very loose. I shattered my star nut thats holds everything together 2 weeks ago because what I thought was finger loose on those 2 bolts was still too tight.

Shattering the internal star nut changes this from a 2 minute operation to 2 hours, excluding the time taken to get a new nut.

Another approach to ensure the headset is properly seated, is to over-tighten and then set the play by loosening in micro-adjustments until the steering can turn without drag on the bearings. You'll know it is right when the steering starts to fall when while the front is lifted and the bike is leaned to a side. As a last test after tightening the stem bolts, push the bike to a wall and while holding the bars (on the grips), push the bike horizontally forward against the wall and feel if any knocking is present. If a click is heard, you've adjusted too far, tighten a bit and test again..

It's more reassuring adjusting headsets knowing that you cannot tighten any further as apposed to wondering if it could have still been tightened any more...

Know-it-all disclaimer: It seems to work for the wrecking crew at MBA.

Edited by Pain or Shine