Think Bike!

Peloton Piet

About two weeks ago I did a sunday morning ride in the Cradle loop. Nothing serious, just a relaxing ride to get away from it all.

On two occasions a motorbike passed me with speeds around 200km/h. :angry: I was cycling alone on the day and I kept to the left of the road, but for some reason these chops came by so close that I was almost knocked of my bike. It was pretty obvious to see that they were changing their line to pass me as close as possible. Fifteen minutes later an ambulance passed me, and I though maybe someone had an accident at Teak place or something, another ten minutes passed and next to the road was a crashed superbike in pieces...there was no rider in sight, the bike was a mess and the engine was still warm...I found it hard to have any compassion for the rider who crashed there earlier as i could see that he was most definitely not doing 60km/h and just enjoing the scenery.

My point is as follows:

Everywhere there are these yellow "Think Bike" stickers to increase awareness and safety of cyclist and bikers, but maybe some bikers, especially the ones in the Cradle should be more considerate towards cyclists.

Personally the bikers driving around in the Cradle irritate the sh%$ out of me.

Has anyone had the same experience?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not there, but I've had bikes buzz me the same way, well over 120 as they're overtaking cars and leaving them in their dust. Seem to think it's funny - or maybe I'm prey?? If oom tjops clips me can't see how he can avoid coming down at that speed. Maybe the thinking part of "think bike" IS the bike??

Seriously. I don't know anyone who owns a motor bike who hasn't crashed it. Some of them are dead, so, strictly speaking, I don't know them anymore.

Dude, this post will only piss off the bikers should they see this. We all feel the same, however putting it in these terms will only make it worse.

This weekend on the D2D there was probably a hundred bikes all passing us at dangerous speeds.

Also in the early mornings (like at 02h00) there are these guys racing up and down Beyers Naude at heaven knows what speeds which piss me off without even being on my bicycle.

Ok now please explain to me !! WTF has the speeding bikes and Think Bike got in common ? Did they say they members of TB or did they have some sort of identification on the bike ? This is like a bunch of cyclists in the road and everybody shouts Cycle LAB !!!!

Seriously. I don't know anyone who owns a motor bike who hasn't crashed it. Some of them are dead, so, strictly speaking, I don't know them anymore.

After my husband's 2 motorbike crashes (1 he was taken out head on by a bakkie that was overtaking, and the other 1 was his own tjoppish manoeuvre going gardening with his bike) he believes that you get 2 types of bikers: those that have crashed and lived, and those that are still going to crash. Those that have crashed and lived ride way more safely and considerate that those that are still going to crash...... the question is just weather you'll live to learn from the crash, or not. Some guys will never learn though. They'll stand there and watch as they scrape their buddy off the road, and go f***ing off at crazy speeds again straight after. :blink:

Actually it does have something to do with it - the campaign is there to make everybody aware of motorbikes and cyclists - but if the bikers ride like idiots, there's nothing much you can do. The argument is often that the guy in the car didn't look, but the guy on the bike doesn't state how he was chucking off at one stupid speed!

About two weeks ago I did a sunday morning ride in the Cradle loop. Nothing serious, just a relaxing ride to get away from it all.

On two occasions a motorbike passed me with speeds around 200km/h. :angry: I was cycling alone on the day and I kept to the left of the road, but for some reason these chops came by so close that I was almost knocked of my bike. It was pretty obvious to see that they were changing their line to pass me as close as possible. Fifteen minutes later an ambulance passed me, and I though maybe someone had an accident at Teak place or something, another ten minutes passed and next to the road was a crashed superbike in pieces...there was no rider in sight, the bike was a mess and the engine was still warm...I found it hard to have any compassion for the rider who crashed there earlier as i could see that he was most definitely not doing 60km/h and just enjoing the scenery.

My point is as follows:

Everywhere there are these yellow "Think Bike" stickers to increase awareness and safety of cyclist and bikers, but maybe some bikers, especially the ones in the Cradle should be more considerate towards cyclists.

Personally the bikers driving around in the Cradle irritate the sh%$ out of me.

Has anyone had the same experience?

I have often thought when some crazy driver comes chucking past: I wonder if I'll see his crashed car/bike around the next corner.....

I guess you did - now I'm jealous :lol:

Dude, this post will only piss off the bikers should they see this. We all feel the same, however putting it in these terms will only make it worse.

This weekend on the D2D there was probably a hundred bikes all passing us at dangerous speeds.

Also in the early mornings (like at 02h00) there are these guys racing up and down Beyers Naude at heaven knows what speeds which piss me off without even being on my bicycle.

So should I be scared and just because my bike does not have an engine and can't do 300 km/h or is a a case of the scary biker image...Look there are a lot of bikers that are really good okes and they do a lot of good things like their annual teddy bear run etc...unfortunately there is a couple chops also.

I just think they are spoiling the fun for everyone. I see the Cradle loop added a couple of speed bumps...and that can surely not be to keep the cyclists in tact.

As far as I can remember the Think Bike camapaign has two pictures on it, think it is time that both parties respect each other.

Lastly, If you are such a mucho leather wearing hard core biker, why test your metal in a nature reserve? I would think that doing 200-300km/h on a proper circuit like Kyalami or Swartkops is far more satisfying than scaring a weekend cyclist...

I am a biker, and I agree with this guy's statements 100%.

Ride like a box (translate to afri), and I feel no sympathy. Hey, I am all for riding like it's stolen, (cant' wait to get my Yammy Tenere 660) but if you put other's lives in danger by your actions, in my books that labels you as an inconsiderate biker = tjop :thumbdown:

Also, like the OP saw, you are bound to come short if you ride like a tjop.

I am a biker, and I agree with this guy's statements 100%.

Ride like a box (translate to afri), and I feel no sympathy. Hey, I am all for riding like it's stolen, (cant' wait to get my Yammy Tenere 660) but if you put other's lives in danger by your actions, in my books that labels you as an inconsiderate biker = tjop :thumbdown:

Also, like the OP saw, you are bound to come short if you ride like a tjop.

+1 :thumbup: