Think Bike!

Peloton Piet

H

TB does not disgrace those who buzz cyclists, ride like tjops and are reckless and endanger other's lives just for the thrill. That concerns me.

Tiny K

Think Bike is a safety awareness campaign. We promote safe riding, awareness and respect for other road users, whether they be pedestrians, motorists, cyclists or bikers.

It is not our job to condone or approve the actions of other road users. Have you seen any public statements where we approve of such behavior?

Just like CSA does not make up the road rules and dictate what the behavior of cyclists should be while out on the road, neither does Think Bike. Would you be appreciative if CSA did? At the end of the day the local authorities and national law enforcement make the general rules and the rest is left up to Joe Soap to hopefully make the right decision and use his common sense to to use our public roads in a responsible manner and show courtesy towards other road users. But unfortunately there will always be a handful of people who will think that they are better than the rest

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Fandacious. A side issue. If you dont have sufficient sense of humout to see the tongue-in-cheek nature of the statements in Stranger's post, then you better sincerely hope that other people do have.

"I always cry during sex. I think it might be the mace"

Serious woman's rights organisations may well consider that to be the statement of a comitted serial rapist. Are you one, or is this merely a tongue-in-cheek attempt at humour?

If I was the chairman of a womens rights movement, then absolutely. but I'm not.

My point is that stranger is the chairman of thinkbike and should act appropriately.

Secondly, stop shifting blame. This isnt about my signature or anything else. This is about the chairman of thinkbike behaving in a manner that is unbecoming

Maybe Fandacious should wear that slogan on the back of a t-shirt and wear it at the Slutwalk at Zoo Lake on 24th September which is about the equality of women and anti rape/abuse (which we will be marshalling)and see if they will care whether he is the chairman or not.

I'm sure it will cause as much outrage as the tongue in cheek comment from the Think Bike forum....I dare you Fandacious.....be a man

Edited by Speed Devil

Seriously Guys I am bored...

Everyone seems to be misunderstood...

If I make a racial slur as "tongue in cheek" to my racist friends... it is not only in bad taste - no matter how funny it is - but it is irresponsible because I know it is not the right thing to do!

Private/public - Yadda-yadda...

Man up! say sorry! deal with the person who said it! Make every effort to stop other people saying it!

sigh...

Does anyone know how to stop getting notified on a particular topic??

I am biting my tongue very hard here not to get involved in this conversation, that is why I asked that we please be excluded from this and our name not be mentioned here.

Since it now bears down on Motorcyclists, I think that I should say something.

Helivac Marshals are Motorcycle Marshals, concerned with the Safety of Cyclists. The majority of our Marshals, has been, or is still involved with cycling. Yes, we are bikers too, we do not allow our members to act maliciously towards other road users, although we feel we can strangle a couple every now and again (Read tongue in cheek)

I see the screenshot and yes, do not agree with what has been said. It might have been said in jest, or as a joke, or for whatever reason in what ever context it might have been.

I know Stranger, we worked together in the past, I was a Think Bike Marshal before. Stranger has had lots of input with regards to Cycling Safety, has put in allot of effort and also allot of his own time to ensure there are marshals at the races, or marshals at a training ride.

So, Stranger and Think Bike, initial apology accepted. I think we should all do that. I do not condone the post, so don't get me wrong here.

We are rivals, Think Bike and Helivac Marshals, we are competition. But that is not the point. There will always be arseholes on bikes out there, like there are motorists and pedestrian, or even cycle arseholes.

There is a bigger picture, and that is Road Safety. We need to all down our fists and start working together, because it ain't gonna improve, it is going to go allot more worse before it will get allot better.

Kind regards, and remember to SHARE THE ROAD out there..!!

Jasper

PS. Please now TB, don't go pull me apart, OK..!! :thumbup: :rolleyes:

Dangle, at no point have I remotely condoned the comment in that screen shot. I am also 100% in agreement with mojopup who pointed out that things said in jest tend to have some element of truth behind them.

BUT I am still a biker (or in some peoples' terms "motorcyclist" because I will not ride fast on public roads). As such I do not appreciate your generalisation and bad attitude to all bikers. I have had my share of run ins with other road users as a cyclist and a biker. A friend was punched on our morning training ride by a silly little idiot riding pillion on a scooter. That's what really infuriates me when I see thing like the screen shot shared here - these silly little idiots would think, from seeing it, that it might get them "in" with the "in crowd", especially if they go get a big bike so that the "in crowd" will talk to them in the first place.

. As such I do not appreciate your generalisation and bad attitude to all bikers.

Which makes it very clear to me that you actually sifted through my comments instead of reading them properly, so if you are going to quote me, then read my comments properly.

OK, so this is going to be my last post on this topic..... I find it has become twisted from what the OP's rant was about.

To the guys from TB - not once did you say that buzzing cyclists was, in fact, the wrong thing to do. I do however thank you guys for your commitment to the two wheeled community and the safety that you provide. Although the posters here seem to be from JHB, the CT guys are a great bunch.

To the cyclists - whoever did the screenshot and posted it here; their intentions were to throw petrol to the already flaming fire - it just caused more ****!

My only issue with this thread is that there has been a lot of accusations and comments made that damage the relationship between bikers and cyclists.

I too will one day want to be a bike marshal on my m/cycle but for now I have quite a few years left of cycling left in me.... well I am only 26 and started cycling 2 years ago, after coming from a semi-pro swimming background but being taken out head on by a bakkie, while riding a motorcycle, back in 2003. (just to settle the tjop or not - the guy jumped a solid white line to skip a queue and didn't see me).

Safe riding! (because that is what we all want in the end - a safe environment to express our freedom).

Kind regards, and remember to SHARE THE ROAD out there..!!

Jasper

PS. Please now TB, don't go pull me apart, OK..!! :thumbup: :rolleyes:

Why would we want to do that when it is plainly apparent that when people enter into civil discourse, problems can be resolved.

Guys its pretty clear that HeadMarshal's actions speak louder than his words. How many cyclists have been knocked off their bikes by motorcyclists from TB since his post?

The man has apologised so give him a break. I can't see him putting in all the time he has assisting with road safety, only to have a secret agenda to take out cyclists. Please let us all cool down and enjoy the road together.

Safe cycling.

Some people are just downright inconsiderate, but keep in mind that their mode of transport is purely coincidental. (Unless they drive BMW)

We are all, after all, human and screw up all the time.(Screwing up "all the time" is Stupidity*. Screwing up "Some of the Time" is Human.

Nobody deserves serious bodily harm or death, because they did something stupid*. (this is a long standing debate between myself and my Best mate - I disagree with you entirely, and you aren't even..)

I was alerted to this this morning - hope it hasn't been posted before… :unsure: post-1604-0-53623800-1315371116.jpg

Thanks TW

Funny how there appears to be a distinct lack of Motorists on this forum - Oh, hang on, they are ALL "cyclists" :D - because no one seems to have picked up that ALL Motorists are to be **** off. Whatever that means.

I am a MOTORIST. I am Very Offended by this Silly Remark made by this (not so) anonymous Biker. <_<

Not really. :D

They can play with me if they wish.... :P

Thanks TW

Funny how there appears to be a distinct lack of Motorists on this forum - Oh, hang on, they are ALL "cyclists" :D - because no one seems to have picked up that ALL Motorists are to be **** off. Whatever that means.

I am a MOTORIST. I am Very Offended by this Silly Remark made by this (not so) anonymous Biker. <_<

Not really. :D

They can play with me if they wish.... :P

Motorists?

Don't get me started.

Have you seen the arsehole "motorists" that calmly get off their bicycles at the end of a funride, get into their cars, and proceed to swear at the marshals helping cyclists finish the ride they were just on, and try and kill the cyclists competing in the ride they just finished?

FFS!

I need to start carrying my firearm more often.

No, wait, a bat.

Motorists?

Don't get me started.

Have you seen the arsehole "motorists" that calmly get off their bicycles at the end of a funride, get into their cars, and proceed to swear at the marshals helping cyclists finish the ride they were just on, and try and kill the cyclists competing in the ride they just finished?

FFS!

I need to start carrying my firearm more often.

No, wait, a bat.

+1000000