IMSA 2012

camerons

It is early days yet but who is in so far?

I am and have been putting together my training plan. I Start with structured training w/c the 26th of September following a modified version of the Don Fink 30 week competitive plan. The reason's I've modified it is because I am quite prone to running injury so have substituted one of the running sessions for a X-Training gym session. I will probably do more cycling as well.

Targets are:

Swim: 1:05

Bike: 5:15

Run: 4:15

T1: 0:05

T2: 0:05

Total: 10:45. In reality I think I will be hard pushed to run that quickly (I use that word loosely) so it will be more like 4:29 with a 10:59 finish. Hopefully.

Anyway I thought it would be nice to have a race thread (I've seen this on a different forum before) for people to talk about the upcoming race, the highs and lows of training etc etc.

Cheers.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have signed up for the full this year after doing the half last year - My aim is just to finish and have no expectations whatsoever!

I just hope to enjoy the day (if possible). I am using the Tri Fuel 36 week program. This weekend did the Total Immersion swimming course so hopefully this will improve my swimming and not leave me feling knackered once I leave the water. I plan to do the half too, as I think that this will be great training.

I am tempted to enter, did my first one last year and though I cursed on the day, I finished and will do one again.

For now though, I will live vicariously through the people on this forum.

Enjoy! It's an awesome feeling once you cross that line.

I have signed up for the full this year after doing the half last year - My aim is just to finish and have no expectations whatsoever!

I just hope to enjoy the day (if possible). I am using the Tri Fuel 36 week program. This weekend did the Total Immersion swimming course so hopefully this will improve my swimming and not leave me feling knackered once I leave the water. I plan to do the half too, as I think that this will be great training.

Good man! I've not seen the tri-fuel program but I am sure if you stick to it you will be pleasantly surprised by what you will achieve. Pretty much everyone I know who has put the training time in has exceeded their expectations come race day.

The half will be very good training. I will be doing the half (Midlands Ultra) at Midmar which should be about six or seven weeks before the race.

You will enjoy race day. The course and support in PE is superb. The feeling of achievement and the sense of well being when you cross the finish line is unbeleivable.

I am tempted to enter, did my first one last year and though I cursed on the day, I finished and will do one again.

For now though, I will live vicariously through the people on this forum.

Enjoy! It's an awesome feeling once you cross that line.

Don't be tempted just do it! :D

Dunno if I have the b@lls to do the full. I have entered 70.3 and started training formally on Monday. So far so good.

I guess Ill see how the training goes as well as 70.3 and make a decision after that.

Dunno if I have the b@lls to do the full. I have entered 70.3 and started training formally on Monday. So far so good.

I guess Ill see how the training goes as well as 70.3 and make a decision after that.

If you're anything like me you'll finish the half and swear you're never doing anything like that again. By Wednesday the following week you will have signed up for the full!

This will be my first year doing triathlons and I am aiming to give the full a shot in April (despite many saying dont do it in your first year.... :unsure:)

My planning to get there....

- Started training with with a program specifically developed for my current level of fitness and goals

- Also joined a swim squad three times a week

- Aim to enter each and every triathlon (and duathlon and open water swim if time allows) on the calender between now and April to get racing fit

I am aiming to do the 70.3 in around the 6hr mark and just to finish strong on in the full Ironman. Given the time and amount of races between now and April, I am confident that it's all achievable. I have also entered for the majority of events already, so every morning when I dont feel like getting up to train, I remind myself of the money spent and that there is no more pulling out.

This will be my first year doing triathlons and I am aiming to give the full a shot in April (despite many saying dont do it in your first year.... :unsure:)

My planning to get there....

- Started training with with a program specifically developed for my current level of fitness and goals

- Also joined a swim squad three times a week

- Aim to enter each and every triathlon (and duathlon and open water swim if time allows) on the calender between now and April to get racing fit

I am aiming to do the 70.3 in around the 6hr mark and just to finish strong on in the full Ironman. Given the time and amount of races between now and April, I am confident that it's all achievable. I have also entered for the majority of events already, so every morning when I dont feel like getting up to train, I remind myself of the money spent and that there is no more pulling out.

IMO to get from a sprint to a 70.3 in the next 3 months or so is very realistic provided you have some sort of base already and if you're hanging out on a cycling forum I assume you do. If you finish that strong, to get from 70.3 to full IM in another 3 months or so is also very realistic. Don't get me wrong I don't think you'll be winning the race but you should definately finish enjoy the race.

p.s. Swim squads are brilliant training tools. It kills me that I don't have one in my area to join.

Edited by camerons

Will be there for my second attempt!!

First time I did it to just finish and enjoy the day..

Next year it will be full Gas!!

Really good idea this thread, would be good to chat here about training and Goals.

Is the Don Fink training plan available of the Net for free?

Need to start looking at Triathlon specific training plans.

My Goal will be to break 10 hours....will be a big ask I know but I think I can do it with the right training!

Swim time:1:10

Bike time:5:10

Run time:3:25

Currently able to run a 1:30 21km so I need to improve a lot with my running and my previous swim time for Ironman was 1:20 so also have some work to do there.

First time I did it to just finish and enjoy the day..

Next year it will be full Gas!!

Really good idea this thread, would be good to chat here about training and Goals.

Is the Don Fink training plan available of the Net for free?

Need to start looking at Triathlon specific training plans.

My Goal will be to break 10 hours....will be a big ask I know but I think I can do it with the right training!

Currently able to run a 1:30 21km so I need to improve a lot with my running and my previous swim time for Ironman was 1:20 so also have some work to do there.

Wow that is a great goal. I wish I had a run like you but unfortunately I am a real cart horse and injury prone from running.

To get your swim from 1:20 to 1:10 I don't think will be too much of a challenge, certainly not as challenging as running 3:25 off of the bike! Join a swim squad if you can, that is the best way to do it. Else spend some time on the swimsmooth website. There is some seriously good info on there.

I have a copy of the fink competitive plan in excel. PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Wow that is a great goal. I wish I had a run like you but unfortunately I am a real cart horse and injury prone from running.

To get your swim from 1:20 to 1:10 I don't think will be too much of a challenge, certainly not as challenging as running 3:25 off of the bike! Join a swim squad if you can, that is the best way to do it. Else spend some time on the swimsmooth website. There is some seriously good info on there.

I have a copy of the fink competitive plan in excel. PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Can you send me a copy of that plan as well? Have PM'd you.

Thanks man...I have a couple of friends that also have a serious goal for next year’s Ironman and we will train together most of the time...so that will help.

Yes running 3:25 off the bike will be a huge challenge that’s for sure...I need to be able to run a 3.10 Marathon probably to do that.

The problem with running is the injuries...I have a knee injury right now from just pushing too hard while doing track work. I am still a "new" runner...have been running for 2 years now and you have to be very disciplined with it.This is where I make the mistake most times...the moment I start to feel good I just want to push the distance and the speed.

For example...I normally run about 30km a week because I race a lot on the Road Bike still so I try and limit the running to about 25 to 30km.

Then one week I did this...did 2x 10km followed by n Track session on the Friday and a 21km race the next day.

4 Days later I went back to the track and got the injury!!

Will send you my mail address Thanks!!!

<snip>

Nice! I'm right where you are :-) Did my first attempt as a "feeler" race, came in 12h30. A bit slower than expected but the run (an dby run I mean walk) was tough..

I'm aiming for ->

Swim time:1:05 (was 1h25 in 2011)

Bike time:5:15 (was 6h10 in 2011)

Run time:3:30 (was 4h40 in 2011)

T(ea) Time: +/- 8-10min combined

Running 3h30 off the bike is going to be tough. I'm also a 1h30 21k'er. I'm doing 1-2 solid brick runs every single week, I reckon that's going to help a LOT. I'll re-adapt my training after Challenge Cape Town.. not chasing a time in CT, more of a "fun" race. IMSA 2012 will be a sprint :-)

Before even thinking about IMSA 2012, there is 70.3 2012 - maybe a separate thread is required? I'm going to try crack 5h for that monster.. no small feat!