road bike - triple chain wheel

Dexter-morgan

Hi Guys/Gals

Is it worth spending a few rand to get triple chain rings on my bike, I have an old Trek 1000?? your opinion will be appreciated.

I am not competitive but want to do the 94.7 in a decent time, would this help on the long hills.

maybe get a larger casette ratio at the back..... my wife loves her triple crank with 12 - 26 cassette on the back but she does complain that the higher gearing makes it feel like she is moving nowhere..... maybe keep double crank with a similar cassette ratio?

Hi Guys/Gals

Is it worth spending a few rand to get triple chain rings on my bike, I have an old Trek 1000?? your opinion will be appreciated.

I am not competitive but want to do the 94.7 in a decent time, would this help on the long hills.

What about a compact crank up front an a larger cassette ratio at the back? 53/34 front & 27/12 back perhaps... You should be able to climb pretty much any tared hill with that!

Don't get a triple chain ring - its only a nuisance and increases the risk of bad shifting at the front. You can get all the ratio's need with a compact crank and cassette. Personally I don't like a compact crank, as it limits your top end speed, but I have a 11-27 at the back.

I'm riding a 53/17 atm.

It completely kills your top speed.

Can only go, at a complete maximum, 70km/h.

At the oyster festival this year, coming down the last hill, i was pedaling at 117r/pm just to stick with the group.

The previous year, on a training ride, i free-wheeled down at 85km/h.

Go with Madone's ratio. :thumbup:

In my opinion not worth it. You will have to change the shifter as well and it does not make economic sense on an older bike. As the previous posts have said, rather change the cluster. You may need a longer chain, depending on what you have at the moment. I'm guessing it will be an eight speed 23/11. If you can get a 25 or 26/11 or 12 you should be fine for 94.7. I ride 25/11 and don't think I used the 25 on any hill during the race.

Come to think of it, if its an older bike, you're rear derailleur probably won't be able to deal with the appropriate clusters. Time for a new group set or bike?

:thumbup:

Don't touch the triple. Cause many hassels and need constant attention. Compact in your case only if you get one cheaply? I have gone compact and it certainly helps me.

Hi Guys/Gals

It sounds like there are a coupe of things that has not been mentioned or explained to you.

It won't be as easy as just buying the triple crank and slapping it on. I have no idea what groupset you are currently using but you will most probably need a new front derailure that can handle the triple chainring. Which also means that you would at the very least have to replace the one shifter. It can currently only shift once, when you click it, up or down. Your shifter must be able to shift one more time on a triple.

Your rear deraileur should be fine.

In order of cost ...

Chapest option replace the cassette

Second option buy a compact crank (don't know what bb you have currently but that may need to be replaced as well) You don't have to replace shifter or FD with this option.

Most expensive option triple crank with all the above mentioned parts.