MTB crank blades

The Smoovf

Hi Hubbers.

Does anybody know if there is a 39 tooth blade available with a 105 BCD.

I want to convert my 10 speed SLX crank into a double setup if possible.

Any ideas or recommendations?

chain reaction has a blackspire blade that is 38teeth. I have it on a 29er and it is perfect, 39 might have been better, but I can race with the best and have not had issues

• 3 weeks later...

I might be missing something here, but I can't see any benefit here except a minute weight saving benefit.

The important thing about the OEM double chainring cranks is their centralized position in relation to the cassette. So by just removing the big blade and replacing the remaining ones with slightly bigger ones defeats the object in my opinion.

the weight saving is minimal.

But with a 29er the gear ratios are much more usable. a 44x11 on a 29er is really never needed in fact neither is 44x12 and 44x14.

by going double up front you make more usage of the cassette and you land up with less redundant gears than you have with a triple where around 25% of the gears are redundant.

I might be missing something here, but I can't see any benefit here except a minute weight saving benefit.

The important thing about the OEM double chainring cranks is their centralized position in relation to the cassette. So by just removing the big blade and replacing the remaining ones with slightly bigger ones defeats the object in my opinion.

I dont want to splash out on a double crankset without trying it at first. I recently did a race and I hardly ever went into my bigblade.

By using my current crank I will still have my current granny ratio that I have become used to.

I recon you will never go back. here is mine

Sorry Brussels, one more thing.

I see that the chainring says 8/9 speed. Will this still work fine if i'm runnung a 10 speed system?

it should...I have a mate running 10 speed chain on a completely 9 speed system :)

but I cannot guarantee it...