Cannondale Factory Racing Team Bike Check

nathrix

Larry is so convincing about the Lefty, can't wait to get my 'dale! Now the big wait is for the 2012 shipment to arrive in October!

Larry is so convincing about the Lefty, can't wait to get my 'dale! Now the big wait is for the 2012 shipment to arrive in October!

You will not regret it - best MTB I have ridden, Lefty is stunning.

You will not regret it - best MTB I have ridden, Lefty is stunning.

Aren't they notoriously maintenance heavy?

The lefty that is

Edited by rouxtjie

The lefty that is

Well i've had a 'dale for about 2 months now.

besides the fact it came 2nd hand and all the replacements we had to,

I recently replaced the stem and got new bearings in the shock.

After one race, (oude molen, it was miserable and wet)

the bearings had to be replaced.

At the shop they told us, "its a ferrari, should only be used for races."

The lefty that is

The older ones had a problem with the rubber boot sealing which allowed water to cause the needle roller bearings to rust. The newer models seal better.

If you loosen the boot clamp and lift the rubber boot and grease the bearings regularly (10 min) and once in a while do a bearing migration reset (15 min) you should not have any issues.

demmit :o

mmmm maintenance is part of the mtb game, I get that but one race, that is a bit heavy.

Why would a lefty be better than a normal shock other than the weight saving? Any tech in it that makes it perform/absorb bumps more effeciently..don't know about that

The older ones had a problem with the rubber boot sealing which allowed water to cause the needle roller bearings to rust. The newer models seal better.

If you loosen the boot clamp and lift the rubber boot and grease the bearings regularly (10 min) and once in a while do a bearing migration reset (15 min) you should not have any issues.

cool. I am just weary of that boot...it might keep k@k out, but once in, it will also prevent it from coming out surely. Double edge sword :rolleyes:

Sounds like the previous owner maybe missed out on maintenance there. I have ridden horribly we races and never had an issue, just keep it clean and lubed. Make sure you have the little clamps rather than the zip ties.

The rollers on the lefty and Lefties in general, yes they need TLC. There are service docs on the 'dale site.

Essentially:

- Bearings have to be 'reset' periodically, simple procedure;

- Lift the hood and check / grease the roller surfaces, I would say as often as you clean your chain .If they get dry, its a downhill for ur fork, and then a major overhaul/service, new rollers, plates, etc ;

- Service every season at least.

cool. I am just weary of that boot...it might keep k@k out, but once in, it will also prevent it from coming out surely. Double edge sword :rolleyes:

True routjie, but if its sealing well enough to let anything in - you should not have an issue, I suppose it all boils down to the conditions you ride in, how often you ride and how much maintenance is done.

demmit :o

mmmm maintenance is part of the mtb game, I get that but one race, that is a bit heavy.

Why would a lefty be better than a normal shock other than the weight saving? Any tech in it that makes it perform/absorb bumps more effeciently..don't know about that

Its better as its lighter, stiffer and the needle bearings give it a nice smooth action. Plus it looks cool and freaks out the other riders on the start line. Forks are for eating - lefties are for racing.

There is also the air filter above the boot, covers a vent hole. That has to be checked and oiled up as well. The fork is not waterproof, thats why you need to keep it from not running dry. Trust me on that one! I managed to seize a DLR, but then used the opportunity to upgrade to a Fox RLC 110.

Edited by kosmonooit