Roof mounted bicycle carrier - advice needed

flashsa

I need some help/advice:

Transporting my bicycle in the back of my Ranger Supercab was always an easy affair! Now I am in a Peugeot 3008 and need to decide how to transport the bike around. My options are either removable goos-neck towbar as I don't like a permanent towage on the back, or, roof bars with bicycle carrier and transport the bike upright on the roof.

I quite like the idea of transporting on the roof as it leaves the boot free to load / unload.

My concern is wind noise and increased fuel consumption.

Has anyone used an upright roof-mounted bicycle carrier - what negative side effects are there?

Would appreciate any input!

I have the Thule Proride's on my car.

Negatives are:

- Slightly increased fuel consumption 1.5l100km (travelling from JHB to EL for 70.3)

- Maximum speed of 130km ph

- Definite noise increase even without travelling with bikes.

- Definite possiblity of driving into a garage/carport with bike still attached to Proride.

Positives:

- Cheaper than a permanent towbar with a Thule bikerack

- No dismantling of bike to put into car

- Ease of use

negative: you forget that the bike is on the roof.

you have to pick the bike up above your head to load it. (specially if your car is tall.)

It doesnt bother me, but my wife (at a staggering 5foot) cannot load the bicycles.

- Slightly increased fuel consumption 1.5l100km (travelling from JHB to EL for 70.3)

I wouldn’t consider 1.5l increase, slight?

I wouldn’t consider 1.5l increase, slight?

Its all relative, but 1.5lt on a V8 is somewhat different than that of a 1.3lt 4 cylinder :D

But yes,perhaps I used the wrong terminology

After a long 2-3 hr hard ride lifting ur bike above your head to secure it will be a problem !!

I personally prefer the the towbar ! ;)

Prorides cost around R1600.00 each and the roof racks + mountings are not cheap

Pity Thule SA rips us off so bad, everything in the UK is at least 50% cheaper. Thule SA quoted me R5350.00 for a detachable towbar, this doesn't include fitment or harness. The same towbar sells for 220 pounds but they don't want to ship to SA :(

Ever heard the saying " out of sight, out of mind"?

I know 2 people who have driven into the garage with the bike on the roof :o

Never mind the roof rack, start worrying about the *** coming from the Peugeot...

So you also know someone who owns a Peugeot?...

HiJack on. "Ja quickest money they ever lost, even after buying it on auction."

Hijack off.. I like to see my bikes in my mirrors to remind me that they are still there... I know I would drive into something if they were on the roof.

I bought me a set of roof racks a few years ago also because it is cheaper than other bike racks. It is the biggest las that you can waste you money on. YOu have to mission to lift your bike above your cars roof all the time. Rather wait a little and buy a platform rack, you wont be sorry. Have a look at the buzz ruck at sportsman if the budget is a bit tight

I have the Thule Proride's on my car.

Negatives are:

- Maximum speed of 130km ph

- Definite noise increase even without travelling with bikes.

- Definite possiblity of driving into a garage/carport with bike still attached to Proride.

Positives:

- Cheaper than a permanent towbar with a Thule bikerack

- No dismantling of bike to put into car

- Ease of use

travelling on the N1 saw a BMW cruising 140km/h plus with 2 bikes on the roof. They were shaking quite abit. I personally would go for towbar mounted carrier