29er Gearing

BlinkFan

Question to the other guys out there on 29ers: Do you struggle with your gearing when the climbs get really steep? I.e., is your granny some times not enough?

I'm running a 24T at the front and a 36T at the back, which I'm quessing is the standard 29er gearing for granny. Will it help if I change my 24T at the front to a 22T?

I'm running Shimano SLX 10spd, so can I just replace my small front chainring with a new one, or are there specific 9 and 10spd rings? Will this 22T chainring from CWC (My link) work with my 10spd SLX crank?

Thanks

the gearing you got is 100%.... going from a 24 granny to 22 granny is pointless... Rather squeeze in 1 more ride a week to tweek the fitness and maybe drop 500grams around the belly..... and the 24 will be plenty low enough gearing!!!

the gearing you got is 100%.... going from a 24 granny to 22 granny is pointless... Rather squeeze in 1 more ride a week to tweek the fitness and maybe drop 500grams around the belly..... and the 24 will be plenty low enough gearing!!!

Cool thanks. I thought this might be the consensus. I can actually afford to drop 5kg around the belly. I'll report back in 2 months :-)

Hi-jack - Sorry

Along the same lines i.e. gearing.

On a 26" and running 32 teeth front middle (22-32-44) and 32 teeth rear (11-32)

1 full rotation of the cranks (360 deg) will result in the rear sprocket & rear wheel being rotated through 1 full rotation.

Same situation on a 29" i.e. one full rotation of cranks = 1 full rotation of the wheel.

But the 26" has a smaller circumference compared to the 29"; hence the 29" will move further for that 1 rotation.

Due to the larger radius of the 29" wheel, there is more leverage / resistance against this rotation.

Hence its harder work to get this extra distance - all things equal.

So a 29" climbs better but is also harder work for equal gear ratios??

Is that a fair conclusion??

How does this workout in reality?

Most effecient gearing I've heard from the people I know riding 29er, is 2x10, with 36T and 22T in front, with 36-11 casette.

The gearing sounded very light in the beginning, but the one guy remarked that it saved him from blowing up.

Eina!

I am still in the dark ages with a 26er and everytime I think of going 2X10 I end up climbing my arse off. Last Saturday the first 14.5km had 950m of climbing. And then I thank the fact that I still have a 22 granny on my 3X9 setup.

The pendulum swings back and forth. 5 years ago the "spin and win" theory was popular. What would you call it today? A big totti contest?

Mampara noted that it is faster to walk than to use a granny. Point taken, BUT, I am there to ride my bike. Not to push it. Get a smaller chainring if it will make your ride more enjoyable. You are supposed to have fun, right? The more fun you have, the more you will ride. The more you ride, the more weight you loose and the stronger you get.

I'm on a 29er with the 2x10 (39T and 26T in front, with 36-11) gearing and found my climbing had improved dramatically. I might we working a little harder but I get up there faster. Never use to pass anyone uphill now it seems to be a common thing. I haven't had a complete blow out yet but have been finishing races finished if you know what I mean. I don't call it granny gear anymore it is now OUPA gear.

The only issue i've been having with the 2x10 is chain slack. Going down hills big ring front small at the back. my chain sometimes comes off the big ring or is slapping my ankle in the process. Anyone else noticed this with the 2x10

I'm on a 29er with the 2x10 (39T and 26T in front, with 36-11) gearing and found my climbing had improved dramatically. I might we working a little harder but I get up there faster. Never use to pass anyone uphill now it seems to be a common thing. I haven't had a complete blow out yet but have been finishing races finished if you know what I mean. I don't call it granny gear anymore it is now OUPA gear.

The only issue i've been having with the 2x10 is chain slack. Going down hills big ring front small at the back. my chain sometimes comes off the big ring or is slapping my ankle in the process. Anyone else noticed this with the 2x10

That kinda fits what I've been seeing, 29ers "cruising" past me on the uphills like its no big deal (Dammit)

If you shorten your chain, will it stop the chain slap?

I also see that a medium RD is right on the limit as far as total capacity goes, but would that be a better option?