Get on your knees!!

patches

Hmmm... well I kinda have a knee guard fetish (currently have 4 different pairs :lol: )

So here's the feedback I can give you on the one's I do know something about.

Troy Lee Combat

http://www.yeah-baby.eu/WebRoot/Store6/Shops/62207531/4AFD/510A/35B3/1CD3/FD73/C0A8/2A95/55E6/tld_KneeGuard_Combat.jpg

First knee guards I ever owned. They served me well for around a year. Seen plenty of 'lie-downs' :lol:

Pros:

Comfy

Hard cups

Top strap (essential on bicycles)

Cons

Get pretty hot and sweaty

Can slip down during 'emergency landing'

started wearing out between knee and shin hard shells

Troy Lee Lopes

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/2009_Troy_Lee_Designs_Lopes_Signature_Knee_Guards_White.jpg?01AD=3TJJhVEl0eg1yQOZAi8Q4sj5BPk-69BvqF8WdnulxDFVYcExpiCRl0w&01RI=D224809D478C54A&01NA=

Truth be told, these are still sitting in their original packaging (now a quite a few months since purchase). I bought them as a replacement for my Combats. I've tried them on to see how comfy, but haven't ridden with them as yet.

From what I can tell

Pros:

More Comfy than Combat (due to 'sock fit' upper)

Less likely to slide down during crash

Stormtrooper look... totally sick :thumbup:

Heck, they've got Lopes' name on... originally custom designed for him, then mass produced. They gotta be good!

Cons

Haven't crash tested them as yet

Gonna be hotter and sweatier than Combat due to knee 'sock'.

The white won't look as great after the first few bails

Troy Lee T-Bone

http://www.acultureofspeed.com/PDGImages/Troy-Lee-Design-T-Bone-Knee-Guard-lg.jpg

These are probably my favourite at the moment. I use dirt jumping and agreesive trail/AM type stuff.

Pros:

Hard shell inside

Fit like a knee guard should.

Don't slide down during bails (I had a pretty nasty one the first day I wore them. The suckers didn't budge)

Durable fabric over knee area

Well padded on side of knees

Cons:

Gets pretty toasty in there

Otherwise all thumbs up

Protec Double Down

http://cdn.vitalbmx.com/photos/users/363/photos/72782/s600_137137310_1272412630.jpg?1293310450

I used these for a couple of rides, then got the TLD T-Bones, and added these to my lend-a-friend kit. I did however get the privilege of bailing with them before upgrading.

Pros:

Well Priced

Hard shell

Decent padding for front of knee

Versatile (Can remove hard cup and or foam inner. Nice for 'lighter' riding)

Very nice when one doesn't want to be bulky

Cons:

The neoprene gets sweaty easily

To get them to stay in place (they have no straps, only elastic fit) it means they have to fit pretty snug. Cut off circulation kinda snug.

Can slip down a little whilst peddaling

As for elbows... I don't usually ride with elbow protection... but when I do, it's in the form of a thor impact rig.

http://www.allmoto-online.com/oldimgs/thor%20impact%20rig%20se.jpg

I only really use this for DH. Too bulky for dirt jumping. Hot as Scarlett Johannson, but protects like abstinence!!!

Edited by patches

ROFL!

I've got some 661 knee guards, which fit really nicely. They have reasonable side protection, but the knee protection is great. Yet to test them out though...

661 Kyle Straits?

I wanted Kyle Straits, didn't feel like paying duty though. Many pros use them!

These any good?

661 Evo

Yes they are, especially for all mountain, agressive trailriding and (hearsay on my part) dirt jumping. Make sure they fit a little on the snug side because they tend to stretch with use. They are comfortable, offer good protection for a soft pad and is not quite as hot as Scarlett Johanson.

A note about the popular 661 Kyle Strait pads: I use these pads all the time, except in races, when I move over to the Astars MOAB knee-shin guards.

The Kyle Straits do not have a hard shell. So if your knee gets a proper knock, it's likely to come off second best. while this is sort of rare for most riders, it can happen, and worth a second thought if you buying a set of knee pads.

His pals can rectify me if I'm wrong, but Dominic Bright ****'d his tibia-fibia solidly recently, and IIRC, he wears 661 kyle straits, or some other knee pad without a hardshell.

post-6789-0-45134300-1315579562.jpg

That said, 9 outta 10, those pads, hardshell or not, will save your spindles.

Edited by Capricorn

I ride with these:

post-12904-0-79395700-1315554943.jpg

Outer hard shell with 2 layers of ventilated foam. Rather comfy and cooler (I would imagine) than "sock" type guards, but if you're doing a lot of hard pedalling the straps will eventually get a bit uncomfy. Wore them all day at the dual slalom and just had to adjust them once late in the day to make 'em comfy again so that's good.

Got them at CWC for R320:

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/lizardskins-knee-body-armor

There are elbow and knee/shin options as well :thumbup:

Yes they are, especially for all mountain, agressive trailriding and (hearsay on my part) dirt jumping. Make sure they fit a little on the snug side because they tend to stretch with use. They are comfortable, offer good protection for a soft pad and is not quite as hot as Scarlett Johanson.

Okay, feeling good about my choice then.

With my foray into more exciting MTB'ing, i could not buy a new set of balls on CRC, so figured kneed pads might be a fair start.

I use my knee guards on any trail / AM ride with anything remotely technical - e.g. Majik, Contermans, Jonkers. As soon as I'm done climbing the seat drops and the knee guards come on. It's given me TONS more confidence

I use my knee guards on any trail / AM ride with anything remotely technical - e.g. Majik, Contermans, Jonkers. As soon as I'm done climbing the seat drops and the knee guards come on. It's given me TONS more confidence

Ugh, I should show you what my knees look like from taking tumbles on the rocky sections in Jonkers. So far I've been lucky, just some scrapes and small amount of bloodletting, but you know, the next time I might no be that fortunate. Somehow knees are just rock magnets. I better get those knee pads soon.

Ugh, I should show you what my knees look like from taking tumbles on the rocky sections in Jonkers. So far I've been lucky, just some scrapes and small amount of bloodletting, but you know, the next time I might no be that fortunate. Somehow knees are just rock magnets. I better get those knee pads soon.

The rocky and sandy climb out of the forest before going back into the forest is hectic. Haven’t mustered the courage to ride that fully.