DISTANCES 50 km, 21 km, 9 km

STARTING TIMES 50 km @ 09h00; 21 km @ 09h20; 9 km @ 09h50

ORGANISING COMMITTEE Piket-bo-berg Inwonersvereniging

PRIZE GIVING 13h15

CUT-OFF 15h00

PRE-ENTRIES CLOSE 22 September 2011

ONLINE ENTRIES www.pedalpower.org.za

ROUTE DESCRIPTION:

Starting in an oak lined avenue, the 9 km route passes the farm buildings and goes out into the orchards beyond, enjoying 6 small river crossings and varying terrain. This is a great starter route for the young and novice riders, taking place mostly on farm roads but including a forest trail and 32m of climbing.

The 21 km medium route is a solid ride, aimed at less fit riders. After the start, 21 km riders turn left heading up to Gryskop, a 200m climb over 6 km which is broken into four sections with a gentle rest gradient to get the wind back in the sails. From the summit, you have 360 degree views of mountains valleys and flowers and if the weather plays along you can see St. Helena Bay and the sea near Elands Bay. The route meanders on the plateau (look out for leopard spoor) and then winds down again to join the short route to the finish.

The 50 km route is quite technical and aimed at fit riders only. It incorporates most of the medium route before heading up the infamous climb to Avontuur Dam, through pristine fynbos areas, with the Groot Winterhoek Mountains on the left and the Rooi Karoo in the valley below. On the southern slopes of the mountain, expect some pretty rough jeep track, a river crossing, a fire-break road, and great (but technical) single-track.

DIRECTIONS TO VENUE

Take the N7 past Malmesbury and Moorreesburg. Turn left into Piketberg at the traffic circle. Turn right at the second stop street and right to Elandsbaai/ Redelinghuys on the R366. After 1.2 km, turn left onto the Versfeld Pass. Follow the MTB signs from the top of the hill. Expect 1h30-2 hours of driving time from Cape Town. GPS: S 32°47'4.99 ; E 18°42'17.14". See the PPA website for interactive directions.

NOTES

Great family weekend in a newly-opened area. Visit the Zebra Festival on the Sat (lots of family entertainment_ or enjoy the Farmers Market at Kruistementvlei. Food and amusement stalls, a coffee shop and an art exhibition at the race on Sunday. All children u/10 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Funds raised in aid of local community projects. More info: www.piket-bo-berg.co.za. The first 90 pre-entries for the medium and long routes qualify for a premium technical cycling shirt.

Go to Event Page