Race Tec chip mount.

Let's Ride

So I have a Race Tec plastic holder to hold my timing chip. It goes onto my front skewer.

Now should I get a longer skewer as technically there is less thread available?

What do you guys do?

Where does your chip sit? (Not on your shoulder).

The chip comes off the little holders easily. It has 3 (i think) little prong thingies that go through the orange chip. Just cable tie onto your fork. I have done this becuase the rattle of the stupid chip on its holder used to drive me mad.

So I have a Race Tec plastic holder to hold my timing chip. It goes onto my front skewer.

Now should I get a longer skewer as technically there is less thread available?

What do you guys do?

Where does your chip sit? (Not on your shoulder).

Just make sure your skewer is tightened as per normal.

Edited by Admin
Inciting comments removed

ditto re the rattle....cant stand it, my only problem regarding your solution is it's kinda permanent, the old chips had the velcro which u could use to fasten onto ur ankle which I prefferred.

Solved the rattle by putting some paper around the chip as the chip was a tad loose in the holder. Also put an elastic around the chip and holder to make sure it cannot fall out as it doesn't seem very secure.

So just undo the skewer, put the holder on and tighten skewer etc as per the norm? Did the Knysna road race with the new holder bought the day before and was scared the wheel might fall off as less thread is in the end of the wheel nut.

Seems I was a bit too concerned.

Guys

So if I understand correctly, you can cable-tie the racetec chip to your fork?

I will purchase my first one at the Karoo to Coast. Is this the best place to put it?

ditto re the rattle....cant stand it, my only problem regarding your solution is it's kinda permanent, the old chips had the velcro which u could use to fasten onto ur ankle which I prefferred.

I am also looking for the velcro thingy??

The chip comes off the little holders easily. It has 3 (i think) little prong thingies that go through the orange chip. Just cable tie onto your fork. I have done this becuase the rattle of the stupid chip on its holder used to drive me mad.

I haven't seen the new ones, but can't you just cable tie it into the holder to make it stop rattling? That's what I did with my yellow one.

Racetec have this to say about mounting the chip:

When it enters an electrical field, it is charged and releases a signal. Timing mats situated on the ground at the start and finish of an event are used to read this signal ... Chips read optimally when they are positioned vertically, and when they have no metal between them and the ground.

...BUT for cycling, DO NOT attach your chip to the front fork (metal in your axle/skewer will cause interference), your shoe lace (chips lies horizontally and there is the metal of the pedal between the chip and the ground), or any other metal tube of the bicycle.

Edited by Edman

Wedge a folded piece of old inner tube between the chip and the holder. It stops the rattle and holds it firm.

That said I used to have the old yellow one cable tied to the carbon fork on my road bike and that worked fine.

[[...BUT for cycling, DO NOT attach your chip to the front fork (metal in your axle/skewer will cause interference), your shoe lace (chips lies horizontally and there is the metal of the pedal between the chip and the ground), or any other metal tube of the bicycle.]]

Hmmm......not much options then! back triangle on opposite side of chain? dunno :blink:

superglued my chip into the plastic holder to stop the infernal rattling.

admittedly its a pretty permanent solution, but I have more than 1 chip

Fitted to the skewer, 2 winds of electrical tape just in case.Works fine.

When using velcro they ask for chip to go on the left leg . Reason: Cannot get stuck in the crank.

I asked the question about the position of the chip (horisontal, vertical etc ) at the Argus Racetec stand. The guy gave me a wry smile and scanned my chip any which way. It worked everytime.

[[...BUT for cycling, DO NOT attach your chip to the front fork (metal in your axle/skewer will cause interference), your shoe lace (chips lies horizontally and there is the metal of the pedal between the chip and the ground), or any other metal tube of the bicycle.]]

Hmmm......not much options then! back triangle on opposite side of chain? dunno :blink:

I've been putting my chip on my shoes velcro strap for years... never had any problems...