Need for pain

Witkop

I have been reading the book, the upside to irrationality. The author shares some research he did in Israel. They basically tested a number of injured ex-servicemen to determine their pain thresholds. THe finding was that the more painful their injures, and the more painful the recovery and the more succesful their recovery, the better they were able to handle the pain that they experienced. The experimenters got the subjects to hold their arms in near to boiling water for up to a minute. All the servicemen who had suffered extremely painful injures were actually told to remove their arms from the water, where those who had sustained minor injures pull their arms out within 30 seconds.

The conclusion is that cyclists that have recovered from major injures often come back stronger as they have a higher "pain reference point", and therefore can push their bodies further in a race.

Now kids don't go throw yourself in front of a truck to get this edge, but rather use this to help you focus on recovery after fate has done the dirty to you.

Edited by Witkop

That makes sense.

If you have been REALLY hurt, you dont fear the lesser pains in life.

So if you want to be able to push through cramping calves, get hit by a bus....or something like that.

"The experimenters got the subjects to hold their arms in near to boiling water for up to a minute."

poor form: sounds like the the name of science has once again been tainted just so that a bunch of closet sadists can get their rocks off!