Freight forwarding from the UK

chris_w_65

I need to buy something from the UK but they won't ship to SA. Any hubbers out there do freight forwarding or know who does?

DHL

I never thought of that, thanks.

Pity I will have to pay VAT twice whichever way I get the item here. I think it will still be quite a big saving though, Thule SA want R5350.00 for a towbar, I can buy it online for 220 pounds. I see all their products are at least 100% more expensive here :thumbdown:

I am not sure what the reason is that they won't ship to me from the UK, maybe Thule won't allow it, if they did then Thule SA would go out of business very quickly :o

Check that there are no import duties payable on the item, could explain the high price from the local folk.

As far as I know it is a vehicle accessory at 20% duty + VAT

Even if I pay the UK and the SA VAT it will only cost R3010.00

Thule SA is ripping us off, they don't pay the UK VAT and they obviously get their stock cheaper than it is available online :angry:

As far as I know it is a vehicle accessory at 20% duty + VAT

Even if I pay the UK and the SA VAT it will only cost R3010.00

Thule SA is ripping us off, they don't pay the UK VAT and they obviously get their stock cheaper than it is available online :angry:

Thule SA must be getting at least a 20% discount. Take off the UK VAT and the discount then add the 20% duty and the VAT and they land the towbar for just under R2K and then sell it for R5350.00 :thumbdown:

Edited by chris_w_65

I need to buy something from the UK but they won't ship to SA. Any hubbers out there do freight forwarding or know who does?

Speak to someone like SA Mercantile or look in the yellow pages under shipping agents/ Shipping companies. They can arrange for you goods to be put into a container. I'm guessing that air freight could work out to be quite expensive.

Check out this link, it's from an expat magazine in london.

http://www.tntmagazine.com/leavingtheuk/shipping/shipping-gear-overseas/shipping-gear-overseas.aspx

They may even be able to get your VAT back.

I bought a lot of stuff yesterday on CRC. They're supposed to send it via normal post. They had a DHL delivery option but it was very expensive.