Tubular tire repairs

MooToo

I have a 2 mm glass cut on my brand new tubular tire, second ride and only 150km done. I heard you can fix this by unsewing the tubbie. Who can repair theses tires as my sewing skills are bad! Please help

Which make and model of tyre is it?

post-2030-0-37830000-1315742842.jpg

You don't actually need amazing sewing skills. Just get yourself a sewing awl (wooden tool in the background). Then you just need a bit of patience. It's even easier if you try to re-use the old holes.

There's a leather shop in Cape Town (Woodheads IIRC) that sells them.

It's a very skilled art repairing tubular tyres. Does help if the tubular was originally sewn by hand and not by some robot. Good luck.

It's a very skilled art repairing tubular tyres. Does help if the tubular was originally sewn by hand and not by some robot. Good luck.

Yeah, but doing it is so rewarding, it's like a meditation.

Hey, there are still plenty of guys in Italy and Frnace that repair their own tyres. Then again they have no choice cos that's what they ride with, good old fashioned handmade tubbies.

It's a very skilled art repairing tubular tyres.

I don't know if I'd go that far. It does require some thought, preparation and patience, but it is possible to do a reasonable job the first time around without any practice.

Skill would turn a 60min job into a 15min one, though.

Most bicycle shop tells me that they can't repair it... I understand why, because it will take them over 1 hr to repair and they can't charge us +-R300 to repair it. It is cheaper to buy new one...

I'm actually thinking of setting up such a after sales service for the VELOFLEX brand. Problem is its very labour intensive and acutally I'll see myself spending most of my time repairing other brands.Of course when you buy tubbies there is no guarantee that you will not puncture, but it does help to buy the top end racing tubbies. Stay away from the cheaper training tubbies, regardless of the brand. :thumbup: