Garmin 800 Belt overreading...

RoboLuke

My HR overreads by about 100 ppm. Water, transport gel makes no difference. Has anyone had this before? Faulty belt? Batteries getting flat?

Mine seems to be "ok" at times ... then all of a sudden it will give a very high reading ... not as much as what you guys have experienced ... I guess only about 30-40 ...

Would love to know what the issue is ...

I used to have that problem - does it happen when you descend fast? It was caused by the friction between the unit and my jersey. I started to wear a cotton vest instead of my thermal and it stopped altogether (the high spikes that is - did the readings fine)

Most recently I had my HRM reading low and then not at all at times - was the battery. Had it replaced and it is now sorted.

btw there is a thread here on the hub with regards to faulty readings on a garmin unit and you can google dcrainmaker - he has a solution to all garmin issues.

Edited by Tiny K

I have found weird HRM readings are usually when the battery on the belt start going pap. Other times are when you are riding next to or under powerlines - normally worse if your battery is not that hot.

• 8 months later...

Can I use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor with a Garmin 800?

If your Garmin belt has a removable transmitter that clips onto the belt, you may be able to use the Polar Strap.

I am Currently using my Polar Strap with The ANT+ transmitter from my Bryton unit....... Works Perfectly. If you can clip the transmitter onto the front of your polar wearlink belt and it doesn't pop off. You should be GOOD TO GO. The computer pairs with the transmitter, and not the belt.

Overhead powerlines and electrical sub-stations can also cause overreading of hr. Move to another location and try again. But please, put your shirt back on first!

My HR overreads by about 100 ppm. Water, transport gel makes no difference. Has anyone had this before? Faulty belt? Batteries getting flat?

Yup, had the same issue. replaced batteries & re-paired belt to unit .... problem solved.

Wasn't picking up any HR, so I replaced the battery and re-paired. I thought all my problems were solved until this weekend when I went for a 5 hr ride. Throughout the ride my Hr was 240bpm. The web is awash with this crap Garmin HR strap. Apparently it is the sensors on the strap and not the transmitter itself.

Do yourself a favour and get some other ANT+ strap. I'm a big fan of Garmin (hate propriety protocols), but this HR strap is..........a piece of CRAP

Edited by capeofstorms