Hope indoor bike from Sportmans

Saffa_G

Hey hubbers.....i want to buy a spinning bike for home use. I see sportsmans warehouse has two Hope bikes they sell...one with a 20kg flywheel and the other with an 18kg flywheel.

Looks for good and bad reviews on these bikes?

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/cycling-2/indoor-cycle-training-equipment/bikes-for-indoor-training/hope-indoor-spinning-bike.html

And

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/cycling-2/indoor-cycle-training-equipment/bikes-for-indoor-training/xtreme-indoor-training-bike.html

Searched the hub for past reviews but couldn't find any...

Thanks

Hey hubbers.....i want to buy a spinning bike for home use. I see sportsmans warehouse has two Hope bikes they sell...one with a 20kg flywheel and the other with an 18kg flywheel.

Looks for good and bad reviews on these bikes?

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/cycling-2/indoor-cycle-training-equipment/bikes-for-indoor-training/hope-indoor-spinning-bike.html

And

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/cycling-2/indoor-cycle-training-equipment/bikes-for-indoor-training/xtreme-indoor-training-bike.html

Searched the hub for past reviews but couldn't find any...

Thanks

Ditto....any pro's cons??

Just an option, what about using a gym contract subsidised by your medical aid (i.e. Discovery or Momentum) and then when the novelty wears off you don't have to sell the bike? The gym contract might be cheaper as well.

@Grebel ... have one already and agree it would be cheaper, but I honestly have such screwed up work schedule with meeting etc. that my time to train is rather varied and it would suit me better to have the option of being able to quickly jump on at strange times and with the gym you're pretty much limited if you work like :(

But thanks for the hint!

My advice- Rather make use of your gym membership.

The idea of training at your home never works out. Trust me!!

Edited by X-Man

@Grebel ... have one already and agree it would be cheaper, but I honestly have such screwed up work schedule with meeting etc. that my time to train is rather varied and it would suit me better to have the option of being able to quickly jump on at strange times and with the gym you're pretty much limited if you work like :(

But thanks for the hint!

No Problem. It was just a thought. Everybody has their reasons :thumbup: I use the 5-6am slot to fit mine in! Most people are still sleeping :lol:

No Problem. It was just a thought. Everybody has their reasons :thumbup: I use the 5-6am slot to fit mine in! Most people are still sleeping :lol:

After last night, I personally prefer a indoor trainer above a spinning bike.

Hmmm, tough to say. The bikes we use in spin studios are usually Startrack or Schwinn, but these are probably in the region of 15-20k. Cyclelab used to have Le Mond Spinning bikes which were over 20K.

The difference between the the bikes at Sportsmans vs. spin studio bikes is that spin studio bikes are built to take more of a beating. My only concern with the Sportman's bikes is that the bike will wear out a bit quicker, though you won't be using it as often as a spin studio bike.

I would say shop around - contact technogym, startrack and schwinn and see what bikes they have - there is a reason the big health clubs use those bikes.

I have a Raleigh SP 500 spinning bike.

OMG, it's the most uncomfortable thing I have ever tried to ride.

I have changed the saddle but it's still crap to ride.

My point is, make sure that whatever you buy its comfortable.

It takes supreme motivation to ride this bastard!!!!

On the other hand, I'll sell it to you for a bargain. :-)

You better off buying a tacx flow and spare wheel for half the price. That way you get to ride your road/mtb bike and get to train with power.

Ok, so I went to Sportsmans....those Hope trainers are the biggest pieces of **** I have ever seen. Just the look and feels scream "fall apart in 3 months"

Thanks for all the feedback people!

Ok, so I went to Sportsmans....those Hope trainers are the biggest pieces of **** I have ever seen. Just the look and feels scream "fall apart in 3 months"

Thanks for all the feedback people!

That's what I thought. Unfortunately, for a bike that won't wear as quickly you will probably have to spend over 10k to get one similar to a spin studio.

The best bet for your price range might just be a trainer/rollers.

I have just received a quote from Fitness World who sell the Star Trac bikes, in fact the NXT ones used at Virgin and also another series called "Pro" from Star Trac.

Will look into those......

Anyone bought from Fitness World before?

Slight hi-jack, but why doesn't someone bring out a spin bike with an accurate power meter and maybe even a bluetooth iphone app so you can take your data with you when you leave?

I have noticed some of the bikes (and the cross trainers) at VA have power readings (not sure how accurate), but not the spin bikes in the spin studios..

I hear VA are trying to tailor the spin classes to real cycling conditions and make the classes appeal to real cyclists, but that doesn't really ring true in terms of the technical capabilities of the equipment..

Anyone know if this type of spin bike setup exists anywhere else in the world?