Replacing Gear Cables

Zula

Good morning everyone

The cables on my Felt AR4 are starting to look a little frayed and are in need of replacement. Being a budding mechanic I am keen to give it a go, but my concern is the internal cabling housing of my bike.

Any advice on re-cabling the gears and not damaging the internal cabling housing? I have read on some forums that guys replace the housing whenever they replace the cabling.

Just want some views on this before I stuff it up totally.

Cheers

hi,

as i understand those cables with housing is like any other.

It just get pushed into the frame.

so there is no special housing in the frame etc.

please correct me if wrong.

ps: does yours also rattle a bit in the frame when cycling on ruff roads?

hi,

as i understand those cables with housing is like any other.

It just get pushed into the frame.

so there is no special housing in the frame etc.

please correct me if wrong.

ps: does yours also rattle a bit in the frame when cycling on ruff roads?

Thanks for the reply!

No the rattle is from the cable housing which is touching your head tube. I put one of those little rubber anti scratch things on there and it sorted it out.

I just spoke to a LBS and they said the housing is pretty straight forward and all you do is push it into the frame. I'm sure my housing is still ok so I will just change the cables. Apparently you cant go cheap on the cables for some reason the setup doesn't like that.

The easiest way is to change one element at a time - pull the housing out but leave the cable in place, then thread the new housing over the old cable so you don't lose the leading end in the frame. Once you've got the outer in, pull out the old inner and replace with the new one.

Always change the housing too. Housing wears away and worn housing contributes to half the friction that causes shifting and braking problems.

Changing the cable only is like the schmuck that changes his car's engine oil without putting in a new filter.

Changing the cable only is like the schmuck that changes his car's engine oil without putting in a new filter.

I can't quite believe it, but I think Johan just called me a schmuck. :unsure:

Except if you are my brother-in-law that pays Merc to change his car's oil every 5000km.

I can't quite believe it, but I think Johan just called me a schmuck. :unsure:

The title is pending. Please confirm whether you changed the filter with the last oil change. Only then can I confirm your title.

If you feel like splashing out, can recommend Gore Ride On Sealed Cables

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/24810.jpg

from CRC

Edited by kosmonooit

The title is pending. Please confirm whether you changed the filter with the last oil change. Only then can I confirm your title.

Nope, but I am guilty of replacing only my cables on occasion. My Campag housings are invincible ;)