NEW Here. Advice would be fantastic :)

ricsyn

Hi Everyone,

SO I've decided Im in the mood for cycling (MTB). Can you maybe recommend a bike that would good for new guy? I saw a NOMAD 70 that was fairly cheap (just under 4k), and was wondering if it was any good or not?

Really any advice/ recommendations would be fantastic :)

Thanks,

Ric.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First bit of advice. Get a road bike. Just kidding man! Welcome to the HUB.

Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice on MTBs, but in general, find yourself someone who knows about bikes and ask them to help you pick out a bike in your budget. They will hopefully know what to look.

Good luck and enjoy! Training, tip, get yourself a nice good long base before you start to crack up the races. Will help your progress loads.

What is your budget, for R4000 you would be better off buying 2nd hand.

What he said.

R4k, just starting out, go 2nd hand :thumbup:

... go 2nd hand :thumbup:

+1 - but get someone that know's MTB's to go with you to check them out.

Edited by Chubba

I fully agree with the advice scotty has given.

does this budget include riding kit? (helmet, gloves, shoes, pants etc)

Other advice I can give is get the best helmet and cycling shorts/bib you can afford and stay away from Game/Makro type bikes

we were all in your shoes once and most of the people on here love helping out the new guys!

welcome to the hub and MTB!

I fully agree with the advice scotty has given.

does this budget include riding kit? (helmet, gloves, shoes, pants etc)

Dude? It's a mountain bike. Didn't you read Sean's rant? It's all like shoo, wow, like the journey, and smelling the cow dung on the trail, man...

You don't need stuff, just a bike and like, the trail, man... Oh, and apparently, a tread mag to wipe your arse, and some grass, to smoke...

Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice in general, find yourself someone who knows about bikes.

There Fixed

:lol: Sorry Break, couldnt help that one!

Nice one on the Rick Rolled. :blink: and thanks for the advice on getting a second hand bike. Will definatley have a look around in the classifieds section.

I actually went through to Cajee's Cycle Corner and asked the guy there for an entry level bike. He showed me a GIANT and a SCOTT. They were both +-5500. However, I saw the Nomad Seventy for way less. So thats why I though it would be good to ask questions first before buying junk.

If I change my budget to R6000, is there anything worthy out there, in terms of a new bike?

What I really should be asking I guess is... What the heck should I be looking out for?

As always, thanks for the assitance to my newbie self.

Nice one on the Rick Rolled. :blink: and thanks for the advice on getting a second hand bike. Will definatley have a look around in the classifieds section.

I actually went through to Cajee's Cycle Corner and asked the guy there for an entry level bike. He showed me a GIANT and a SCOTT. They were both +-5500. However, I saw the Nomad Seventy for way less. So thats why I though it would be good to ask questions first before buying junk.

If I change my budget to R6000, is there anything worthy out there, in terms of a new bike?

What I really should be asking I guess is... What the heck should I be looking out for?

As always, thanks for the assitance to my newbie self.

Whatever your budget is, used will always offer better value than new. Think new/used cars.

I have never bought a new bike, but had mates point me in the right direction.

If you can't/don't want to buy second hand then maybe have a look at the Silverback Range. you can pick up a Silverback Alpine for R3500 and it is very well speced for its price.

Just a thought....