29er Tyres?

cycle-mania

Hi boys and girls

I recently bought myself a 29er and was wondering what different tyres are available?

Any advice or recommendation would be appreciated. Tyres must be UST or tubeless specific.

Whats out there in the market and best value for money. I have continental race kings on my 26er, would love to get something similar.

Thanks

I am running 2 geax saguaro 29 tnt's. Grippy and tough but heavy and a beeeatch to get on and off any rim. Seals nicely though. Choose your poison I suppose

I used to run UST Conti MK and RK on my 26'er, like saguaros better :thumbup:

I have a pair of Specialized Fastrak LK 2bliss tires for you @R800 for the pair. They are light (600g) and very good all round. 29x 2.0 but have a generous volume.

These are some of the lightest 29er tires on the market, then you get into weenie tires like the renegade and stans raven etc...

I am with Tarmac on the Fast Traks. Awesome tyres, with great durability and grip, wihout paying the weight penalty. Renegade if you want to fly!

I have a pair of Specialized Fastrak LK 2bliss tires for you @R800 for the pair. They are light (600g) and very good all round. 29x 2.0 but have a generous volume.

These are some of the lightest 29er tires on the market, then you get into weenie tires like the renegade and stans raven etc...

demmit my saguaros are like 800g, on two wheels its almost half a kg more than spez tyres would have been. They are blerrie tough though

My bike came out with Racing Ralphs, super light tyre but only lasted about three months before my first massive sidewall cut. I then went for the Geax AKA. It's heavy! I only realised how light the RRs were when I started running the AKAs. But, it has a sidewall thicker than my skull and it's a very grippy tyre.

See, that sidewall cut on my RRs really spoiled my day, so I went to the other side of the spectrum. I sometimes wonder whether I went too heavy in an attempt to avoid sidewall cuts but maybe I just need to man up and pedal harder!

@Squier, is it just me or are geax tyres close to impossible to fit and remove from the rim?

They are very difficult. I really, really struggled to get AKA's onto American Classic rims. Eventually managed it but I'm a bit nervous about what I'll do if i need to fix a flat / sidewall cut when I'm out in the boonies. Had no issues with the Crossmark UST's before that though.

@Squier, is it just me or are geax tyres close to impossible to fit and remove from the rim?

They were fitted for me by my LBS so I can't really give you an answer yet, though I've heard a couple of people say the same thing.

I am a little worried now...

They are very difficult. I really, really struggled to get AKA's onto American Classic rims. Eventually managed it but I'm a bit nervous about what I'll do if i need to fix a flat / sidewall cut when I'm out in the boonies. Had no issues with the Crossmark UST's before that though.

My exact thoughts, if ever I need to fix a cut, I am in deep dwang

They were fitted for me by my LBS so I can't really give you an answer yet, though I've heard a couple of people say the same thing.I am a little worried now...

Ah, look if they are on...beautiful and they are super tough. It's just fitting them that is a nightmare

fasttrack LK are good.

bontrager jones XR are good.

currently have an maxxis ikon on the back - also great

on the not so good side

conti are rubbish...great grip but thin sidewalls that tear just looking at them

WTB nano are great but are paper thin too and the tread wears off SUPER quick too