centre lock brakes

HaydenWilson

Hey communal group mind of awesome information.

I am looking to upgrade my bike from v-brakes to disc (Frame and fork are compatible)

what is the cheapest way of doing this? i know that i need new hubs as well as the discs and calipers and all those goodies. but they talk about a number of terms that i do not understand.

What is the difference between centre lock disc brakes and conventional disc brakes?

And what is the cheapest way to do this upgrade?

Help

Hayden

What is the difference between centre lock disc brakes and conventional disc brakes?

And what is the cheapest way to do this upgrade?

Hayden

Centre lock and six-bolt simply refer to how the rotor attaches to the hub.

with the money you'll spend on upgrading, unless you've just got a super fancy bike with rim brakes, it might just be worth selling your current bike and buying a new or secondhand one.

in doing so you'll most probably upgrade both brakes and other components at the same time for the same money.

let us know what you've got now? maybe it might be worth upgrading just the brakes

have second hand hydraulic brakes and centre lock rotors for sale

180 (deore) and 160(slx) rotors and shimano brakes with new brake pads.

R900 for the lot

PM me if interested.

with the money you'll spend on upgrading, unless you've just got a super fancy bike with rim brakes, it might just be worth selling your current bike and buying a new or secondhand one.

in doing so you'll most probably upgrade both brakes and other components at the same time for the same money.

let us know what you've got now? maybe it might be worth upgrading just the brakes

+1 :thumbup:

Also, what sort of brakes mounts does your current set-up have? IS or Post?

Yeah, I agree. I was in the same boat a while back, and I would have needed new wheels, and brakes.

For XT for both would cos about 6k.

Instead I got a full XT bike with fox fork etc etc for R10k. It was definitely more worth while cost wise.

Hey Jon - Disc brakes really shine in wet or muddy conditions. V-brakes are probably 90% as good in the dry. Maybe think of upgrading something else or saving the money.

If you insist you will need new hubs, rotors and a set of brakes as well as having to get someone to rebuildt your wheels. If the hubs are not combtable with the spokes you will need different length spokes too. In the end, it will probably be better value for money to buy a new set of wheels.

Many good points made, but are your wheels disc ready? If they are, it's a pretty simple upgrade - refer to AndreZA's handy diagram.

If not, a 2nd hand set of wheels off the hub classifieds will be a damn sight cheaper than rebuilding your existing ones, if you can find a bargain. If not, then just upgrade the whole bike.

Just my 2c.

:)

Edit - just read your post properly. Ignore part A of my response.

Edited by droo

hey all! thanks for the help!

I have been anxiously waiting for insurance to tell me what bike i was going to be given. it now looks like they will be paying out cash which is infinitely better as it means i can just look online for a decent second hand bike that fits my needs.

thanks!

hey all! thanks for the help!

I have been anxiously waiting for insurance to tell me what bike i was going to be given. it now looks like they will be paying out cash which is infinitely better as it means i can just look online for a decent second hand bike that fits my needs.

thanks!

what insurance company you with out of interest