Bike rack / roof rack

Skidmark

Heya

Cheapest quote I could find in PE to have a towbar fitted to my ford focus 1.6 was around R2500 which is a bit steep IMO.

So i'm looking at just popping on some roof racks and then getting the roof rack bike rack...

Before I go down this route, is there anything I should be aware of? Are the roof-rack-mounted bike racks ok in general? Not more likely to damage the bike? Any other considerations?

Thanks!

R 2.5 k for a towbar!? That's bleddy cheap!

What I've done though is adapt my Holdfast suction cup roof racks to take 2 bikes upside down. Just got 2 pads for each set of bars, and am going to strap the bikes down at the handlebars & saddle. I've done it so that the bikes are positioned alternately, sort of arse to tail. Cheap & easy. Roof racks were R 850 and the pads are dirt cheap. You could even use foam to protect the bars, or some of those surf-board pads that you get at the surf shops.

R 2.5 k for a towbar!? That's bleddy cheap!

Perhaps, but its more than I was looking to spend... I mean its a 1.6 - not like i'm going to be able to tow anything else :P I'm installing it JUST to carry my bike around.

What I've done though is adapt my Holdfast suction cup roof racks to take 2 bikes upside down. Just got 2 pads for each set of bars, and am going to strap the bikes down at the handlebars & saddle. I've done it so that the bikes are positioned alternately, sort of arse to tail. Cheap & easy. Roof racks were R 850 and the pads are dirt cheap. You could even use foam to protect the bars, or some of those surf-board pads that you get at the surf shops.

I have the strips on my roof with the roofrack mounting points, so I'll get the racks myself.. What I'm more looking for, is feedback on which Thule(?) roof rack mounted bike rack to get and if there are any considerings to keep in mind with regards said rack.

Number one consideration - don't forget that you have a bike on your roof!

And the Thule roof rack / bike rack option will more than likely cost pretty much the same as the towbar/bikerack option. Those things are expensive, bro. You're looking at 3 1/2 k for the racks, then another 2 k or 3k for the rack-mounted bike rack.

Ya I just called Wayne Pheiffer and he told me as much... The Thule roof racks + required cross bars etc is about R3.5k and then you still gotta get the bike rack itself which is another R2k...

I was concerned about the reliability/trustworthiness of the "strap-on" bike racks but he reckons Thule have a 6-point strap-based bike rack that is 100% safe and only costs ±R1200 which is more in my budget...

Perhaps, but its more than I was looking to spend... I mean its a 1.6 - not like i'm going to be able to tow anything else :P I'm installing it JUST to carry my bike around.

Is that price excluding the harness and the plug...? If not, ask them to quote without the wiring harness and the plug. A harness for my wife's Polo was R700 on it's own!! All you need is the steel bracket and the ball for the rack. Alternatively look for a second hand one.

To be honest I reckon tow-bar mount is the only way to go. I've heard all sorts of stories about guys that forget they've got the bike on the roof and drive in to tollgates / garages / carports and end up totaling their bikes.

Those strap-on jobbies make me nervous and they're a mission to get on / off.

Tow-bar is probably the most secure mount, easy to get the rack on / off, and you can use it for other purposes as well.

Hi Skidmark

Take a careful look at your local second hand car dealers. If they have any second hand Focuses on the floor with tow bar on, offer then a couple of hundred rand for the tow bar. I've done this twice. Both times they were even willing to remove it for free. Half of new price is a fair deal. But try for less, because you'll still have to pay someone to fit it for you.