The Vlei 24 hour entries are open.

Wendell

You have all been waiting for the entries to be open, so now go to entrytime and stand a chance of winning a Sigma light worth R1800 as an early bird entry.

Inter-Schools catagory, Inter-club and Coffin Dodgers are vying for the trophy and team jersey..when you have entered challenge friends to form a team.

Mike van Der Walt a 65yr cancer survivor needs you support as he is doing the Vlei 24 Hour ..solo for CANSA Assn. support this worthy cause.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to it.

What categories will there be?

Sorry for the late reply...see you enjoyed Richard's Varsity 12 JOLL sorry hour....the catagories for The Vlei 24 Hour are as follows... Solo: elite (men and ladies), 30-39(men only),40-49 and 50plus )SOLO ladies 30-44 and 45 PLUS,solo single speed, four man teams, eight man teams, all catagories are for mixed teams as well.

The four man teams being our focus...THIS YEAR.!!!!

1)Inter-Club mens. Jerseys, medals and preize money. prize money for first three positions.

2)Inter Schools four man team ( twelve hour only )

3)Coffin Dodgers four man team with a combined age of 220 years ( Any permutation)

Floating Trophies for the above three catagories.

• 2 weeks later...

The route will soon be published and it has been reduced to a fantastic tree filled EIGHT km lap. We are the only CSA sanctioned 24 hour being held in December this year. Our aim is to get ALL our clubs involved. An inter-club competition in a four man format will be THE race.... Late Mark Stockton was a loyal 24hour competitor and always encouraged others to participate in this social get together. We have the MARK STOCKTON MEMORIAL TROPHY for the winning CLUB as well as unique Winners Jerseys for the winning Club team... who could it be??? JHB Mountain Bike Club..Germiston Wheelers..Flat Dogs.....Club 100... Springs Wheelers....Southern Cycling..The Circus....or will Cycle Lab come grab the honours???? and who can beat the strong Defending Coffin Dodgers Team of The Vlei Fossils....it's time to gather your clan and set your sights on the best Mountain bike vibe...Two Trees Bakery will sponsor a special something for all the participants of THE VLEI 24 HOUR...3 / 4 December starting at 10h00.

• 2 weeks later...

Two single speeders are looking for two more single speeders to complete a 4 man team for the 24 hour at Rietvlei. We are not racing snakes so this will be a team looking more for the fun aspect of 24 hour racing :blush: :blush: :blush:

Any interested parties can PM me.

I believe that 'personalised plates for all SOLO riders entering before the 25th of November' is on the cards :thumbup:

That is cool :clap:

I believe that 'personalised plates for all SOLO riders entering before the 25th of November' is on the cards :thumbup:

That is cool :clap:

Big Ben.. with us everyone is a friend and not a number....so ALL entries, teams, solo,single speed etc. will get personalised numbers if they are entered by the 25th November and also stand a chance of the SIGMA light sponsored by OMNICO..value of light R1800

Camping sites for the 24 hour can now be booked, please see the attached image, and contact bole@icon.co.za or 011 867 8047 to book a site.

post-271-0-51153100-1319916496.jpg

Two single speeders are looking for two more single speeders to complete a 4 man team for the 24 hour at Rietvlei. We are not racing snakes so this will be a team looking more for the fun aspect of 24 hour racing :blush: :blush: :blush:

Any interested parties can PM me.

PM sent...

Agertos

You can go and support the other race but understand a few things

1. it is not sanctioned and does not conform to the saftey act.

2. The reason it has to keep being moved is because they do not pay there bills!!!! and i can prove it.

3. i have recieved emails from riders that still have not recieved there prize moneies from last year!!!!

4. The prizes are crap, go and look at what Wendall is offering then make you choice??

5. It will be in an open area great for highjacking?

but then some riders like to support races that do not have the riders interest at heart. And then moan about the lack of development support??

Enjoy

I shall wait for Dimitri or his brother to reply under false names??

Agertos

2. The reason it has to keep being moved is because they do not pay there bills!!!! and i can prove it.

3. i have recieved emails from riders that still have not recieved there prize moneies from last year!!!!

4. The prizes are crap, go and look at what Wendall is offering then make you choice??

but then some riders like to support races that do not have the riders interest at heart. And then moan about the lack of development support??

Enjoy

I am not sure who you are, but this is cringeworthy if you are an office-holder in our sport. And £$%^&* stupid if you help organise this event.

Wendell - help us out here - is this irresponsible drivel from somebody who should know better?

Agertos

Enjoy

This is really the last thing the sport needed or wanted right now.

Even after 'The Vlei" took a date that has been traditionally the Omni-Motion 24-Hour (for 12 years) we decided not to make a big noise out of it and let the people decide. We aim to provide a fun, safe experience that will leave memories of joy for a long time to those who take part and spur newcomers to the sport on to dive deeper into MTB so that we see them again and again.

Here are the facts and reasons:

Sanctioning:

24-Hour races, their structures, rules and systems do not fall under UCI, CSA, SAMTB or any other governing body in the world of MTB. Look it up.

Being involved in all types of MTB events for 13 years now we have also come to the conclusion that sanctioning the 24-Hour with CSA does not bring any value to the riders at all. When we have sanctioned the 24-Hour in the past it was clear to us that the officials present were not able to perform their duties because of the lack of 24-Hour experience nor knowledge. A number of times CSA officials were actually a hindrance to the event instead of help. It was also the case that one official almost cost us the continuation for sponsorship. Is this how you grow a sport??? In the last 12 years not a single Omni-Motion event was executed without meeting the highest medical, security and safety regulations.

Moving the event: There are many reasons for this and here they are in no particular order.

• Due to the event growing and outgrowing venues from the start where we only had 78 riders (we now get 10 times that)
  • The Vlei had too many challenges and was never 100% suitable for this event. (Timing transition zone and ablutions placement) people crossing the official course where it should not happen, parking etc...
  • Constant bickering with the actual land owners and neighbors, One year this led to water being turned off for participants during the race.
  • Certain tarred roads were not safe as they were not allowed to be closed during the entire week-end. The land owner even allowed a 30th birthday party to be held on the premises which led to traffic on these roads (Omni-Motion was not informed until the same week)
  • We feel the Vlei is susceptible to deep mud if there is any rain(it is known for this), making the course un-ridable. This even led us to halting the race for 2 hours in 2009.
  • Over the last three years, Omni-Motion has been in negotiations with "24-Hours of Adrenalin" to have the South African "Bicycling 24-Hour MTB" event added to their worldwide calender. Sadly "The Vlei" as a venue was rejected outright by them as it did not conform to their standards.

Unpaid Bills:

• As for unpaid bills - Please show us the proof.

Prizes not received???

• All prizes were given by hand on the day. If any winner from last year did not receive their prize, why are they e-mailing the wrong people who are not even involved with the event??? Please contact us. (all prizes were given by hand, how can someone complain that is was not SENT to them?) This is false.

"Prizes are crap"? Firstly, this attitude is completely unbecoming of an official in any sport anywhere in the world. If it was all about prizes then huge events like 94.7 would only have 100 entries.

The Omni-Motion 24-Hour has steadily grown over the 12 years to become the largest 24-Hour MTB event in Africa. And this whilst other organizers had given up on this format of racing altogether. Previous winners have never complained about our prizes and we always do our best with our resources. Why then would this event grow from year to year?

Having said that, this year we have even better prizes.

Open area and Safety:

• Van Gaalen Cheese Farm is renowned for its beautifully maintained, safe and exciting MTB trails enjoyed every weekend by families. The official course has not been published yet so to have such knowledge of it "being out in the open" in the first place is impossible. This years course is safe and on completely privately owned land, no public roads and the actual land owner is personally involved. To our knowledge there hasn't been a single bikejacking or threatening incident at Van Gaalen.

To conclude.

This unpleasant situation is not one we wished to get caught up in. However, the deliberate acts (and other incidents not reported in this reply) by a CSA official and/or an organizer of "The Vlei" 24-Hour to sabotage the "Bicycling 24-Hour MTB" , a staple and favorite event on the MTB calender for 12 years has forced us to defend ourselves.

We have never replied nor posted on the hub under false names. I welcome you to approach thehub.co.za admin to prove otherwise.

It is clear to us that a certain member of CSA and his animosity towards us has been brought about due to his personal agendas. It is this attitude and self serving nature that will continue to damage the sport of Mountain Biking and dissuade newcomers from taking it up.

We seriously believe that CSA has the sport of MTB and Cycling in its best interests and would hope that the kind of attitude exhibited above by a CSA official is not supported or promoted by CSA as the governing body.

We trust that our loyal 24-Hour competitors and friends, some from as far away as Cape Town, Israel and Canada will choose wisely.

We wish anyone who rides the 24-Hour at "The Vlei" to have an enjoyable event.

Signed:

Dimitri and Chris

Omni-Motion

This is really the last thing the sport needed or wanted right now.

Even after 'The Vlei" took a date that has been traditionally the Omni-Motion 24-Hour (for 12 years) we decided not to make a big noise out of it and let the people decide. We aim to provide a fun, safe experience that will leave memories of joy for a long time to those who take part and spur newcomers to the sport on to dive deeper into MTB so that we see them again and again.

Here are the facts and reasons:

Sanctioning:

24-Hour races, their structures, rules and systems do not fall under UCI, CSA, SAMTB or any other governing body in the world of MTB. Look it up.

Being involved in all types of MTB events for 13 years now we have also come to the conclusion that sanctioning the 24-Hour with CSA does not bring any value to the riders at all. When we have sanctioned the 24-Hour in the past it was clear to us that the officials present were not able to perform their duties because of the lack of 24-Hour experience nor knowledge. A number of times CSA officials were actually a hindrance to the event instead of help. It was also the case that one official almost cost us the continuation for sponsorship. Is this how you grow a sport??? In the last 12 years not a single Omni-Motion event was executed without meeting the highest medical, security and safety regulations.

Moving the event: There are many reasons for this and here they are in no particular order.

• Due to the event growing and outgrowing venues from the start where we only had 78 riders (we now get 10 times that)
  • The Vlei had too many challenges and was never 100% suitable for this event. (Timing transition zone and ablutions placement) people crossing the official course where it should not happen, parking etc...
  • Constant bickering with the actual land owners and neighbors, One year this led to water being turned off for participants during the race.
  • Certain tarred roads were not safe as they were not allowed to be closed during the entire week-end. The land owner even allowed a 30th birthday party to be held on the premises which led to traffic on these roads (Omni-Motion was not informed until the same week)
  • We feel the Vlei is susceptible to deep mud if there is any rain(it is known for this), making the course un-ridable. This even led us to halting the race for 2 hours in 2009.
  • Over the last three years, Omni-Motion has been in negotiations with "24-Hours of Adrenalin" to have the South African "Bicycling 24-Hour MTB" event added to their worldwide calender. Sadly "The Vlei" as a venue was rejected outright by them as it did not conform to their standards.

Unpaid Bills:

• As for unpaid bills - Please show us the proof.

Prizes not received???

• All prizes were given by hand on the day. If any winner from last year did not receive their prize, why are they e-mailing the wrong people who are not even involved with the event??? Please contact us. (all prizes were given by hand, how can someone complain that is was not SENT to them?) This is false.

"Prizes are crap"? Firstly, this attitude is completely unbecoming of an official in any sport anywhere in the world. If it was all about prizes then huge events like 94.7 would only have 100 entries.

The Omni-Motion 24-Hour has steadily grown over the 12 years to become the largest 24-Hour MTB event in Africa. And this whilst other organizers had given up on this format of racing altogether. Previous winners have never complained about our prizes and we always do our best with our resources. Why then would this event grow from year to year?

Having said that, this year we have even better prizes.

Open area and Safety:

• Van Gaalen Cheese Farm is renowned for its beautifully maintained, safe and exciting MTB trails enjoyed every weekend by families. The official course has not been published yet so to have such knowledge of it "being out in the open" in the first place is impossible. This years course is safe and on completely privately owned land, no public roads and the actual land owner is personally involved. To our knowledge there hasn't been a single bikejacking or threatening incident at Van Gaalen.

To conclude.

This unpleasant situation is not one we wished to get caught up in. However, the deliberate acts (and other incidents not reported in this reply) by a CSA official and/or an organizer of "The Vlei" 24-Hour to sabotage the "Bicycling 24-Hour MTB" , a staple and favorite event on the MTB calender for 12 years has forced us to defend ourselves.

We have never replied nor posted on the hub under false names. I welcome you to approach thehub.co.za admin to prove otherwise.

It is clear to us that a certain member of CSA and his animosity towards us has been brought about due to his personal agendas. It is this attitude and self serving nature that will continue to damage the sport of Mountain Biking and dissuade newcomers from taking it up.

We seriously believe that CSA has the sport of MTB and Cycling in its best interests and would hope that the kind of attitude exhibited above by a CSA official is not supported or promoted by CSA as the governing body.

We trust that our loyal 24-Hour competitors and friends, some from as far away as Cape Town, Israel and Canada will choose wisely.

We wish anyone who rides the 24-Hour at "The Vlei" to have an enjoyable event.

Signed:

Dimitri and Chris

Omni-Motion

Great response, Dimitri and Chris. Let's hope that CSA does something about this fool.

We can but dream.

Looks like I am heading to Van Gaalens now.