Felt AR5 - A question for the roadies/triatlete

Grondpad

I need some advice from the more tar loving side of cycling.

I only have a mountain bike and have only done mountain biking until a year ago when I started with sprint triathlons. The triathlon and duatlon bug has bitten and I now want to get a road bike as well in order to beter my times in the sprint triathlons as well as start participating in the olympic distances

In this months Bicycling magazine I read on the new designs in road bikes that is more ‘aero’. So after a bit of research I set my sights on the Felt AR5. The reason for this is that the amount of training and riding that I will be doing, I think that a 105 groupset is enough. I also want to use the bike for some road events like the Argus and 94.7. I have also started doing some long intervals on the road with my mountain bike in preparation for stage racing (M.T.B. events).

Would it rather be beter to get a cheaper TT bike and a cheaper road bike? Some opinions I have heard said its a waist and I should rather get 2 bikes. What is your opinion on the aero design (and more specific the AR5) for the purpose I want to use it?

http://www.feltbicycles.com/South-Africa/2012/Road/AR-Series/AR5.aspx

ek sou se vergeet van 2 bikes. meer probleme meer werk!

Die Felt AR reeks is perfect vir ouens wat road races, duathlons en triathlons doen.

jy klink nie na n baie erenstige fiets ryer nie so 105 sal goed genoeg wees. die wiele mag dalk net

bietjie swaar wees.

daar is nou baie opsies beskikbaar, felt , scott en spec maak nou almal "aero" bikes.

happy shopping.

ps: jy kan nie fout gan met die felt

Rather get one decent bike. In your case the AR5 is perfect. The AR5 is supposed to be halfway between a normal road and normal time trial bike. You are getting the best of both worlds.

Felt have a big special on at the moment, search the hub, there is a link to their specials website.

I was in a similar position to you at the beginning of this year. I opted to sell my entry level road bike and went with the Felt AR4. I think I made a fantastic decision and I absolutely love my bike to bits.

I did 70.3 on the Felt and it went like a bomb. The course is designed in a such a way that a road bike doesn't disadvantage you as much as you would thin because there are plenty rolling hills which require standing out the saddle from time to time etc.

As for setup, I have only used my bike in the normal road setup. I do however have a tri saddle and clip on bars for TT, but at the moment I'm pretty comfy using it asa road bike only because of races like argus, 94.7 and DC. TT setup is a totally different position and will require alot of practice and commitment when the time comes. My sights are only set on 70.3 next year. If they change to full IM then Ill swap to TT.

All in all its a fantastic bike and you wont be sorry. As skaap says the major difference is in the wheels. Personally I love the ultegra, I find it flawless and easy to setup and adjust.

have fun

Rather get one decent bike. In your case the AR5 is perfect. The AR5 is supposed to be halfway between a normal road and normal time trial bike. You are getting the best of both worlds.

Felt have a big special on at the moment, search the hub, there is a link to their specials website.

+1 Great bike. and only have 1 bike. you can always fit clip on bars to your bike.

EDIT: Forgot to say. TT bikes not allowed in most sprint tri's!

One caveat: I would try other bikes as the AR5 might look pretty and Aero, but another bike might fit better, and you are better off with that one then.

Edited by gadget

It's a pity the AR5 doesn't have a reversible seat post, like the Argon E series bikes do. That would make it the perfect versatile machine. Personally I have 2 bikes, more of a Triathlon rider so I got myself a cheapie road bike for the half-handful of road races I do each year. So I would say it depends where most of your races will be. For 70.3 Road bike is actually better (you lose more time going up the hill than you could possibly gain coming back down with a super TT bike).

My main worry with the clip ons is that you will not have the same geometry and setup as a TT bike. Remember, it's not about the bike - it's about the run. However, when there are hills involved, a light road bike with a big-ring cassette (26 or 28) or a compact crank will win every time hands down. I can easily ride 5h in the bars but I get buggered after 1-2hours on the road bike, my hands and arms get tired :-) guess it depends where your priorities lie!

But you can just buy a reversalbe seatpost and get proper TT bars and shifters instead of the clipons.

Changing your cockpit from road to tt is not that difficult (if you know how to set you FD and RD). When I remove the roadset the cables are normally still good enough to put back on without replacing them.

Proper tt bars is just so much nicer, since you can change gears while in the aero position without moving your hands off the bars.