Ballpark Prices for 26ers / 29ers (hard to find)

WING3RZ

Hi Hubbers,

I, like many others am looking carefully at what my next weapon of choice will be. 29er vs. 26er, fun over racing, money-left over vs broke...

But I am struggling to find a ballpark figure for bike prices, and don't trust converting $ to R, as I am aware there is more to it than that. Also I am aware that you can have many configurations to the 'same bike'. I am aware that I could call around, but I figure if all of us are doing this, why not combine a thread particularly for price dumping (if there isn't one already?)

That said, I'm interested in estimate prices for the following, and if anyone else has pricing, and has called bikeshops, that's worth sharing as a sticky post for reference, please put it in...

Scott Spark Elite 26er

Scott Spark Elite 29er (I see RRP on probike site is R21k?)

Niner R.I.P 9 29er (aware frame is around 14k)

Santa Cruz Tall Boy Alloy 29er

Santa Cruz Tall Boy Carbon 29er

And if you were 6ft 4in, 110kgs, loved a darty/pointy bike, more keen on having fun on trails than racing, but want to do it all (including racing) on one MTB, would you pick any of the above, or what would you recommend? I've read a couple of reviews of the Niner (mtbrDOTcom), particularly for my size and most are impressed...

Edited by WING3RZ

Scott 29 Elite - Westdene Cycles - R12800.00

Comes with a Deore crank so if you want to upgrade to an SLX crank you probably need about R500.00

when im looking for rough prices on bikes i look at

www.cyclefactory.co.za

or

www.hotspotcycles.co.za

or just give CWC a call i'm sure they should be able to give you quotes quiet easily

Scott 29 Elite - Westdene Cycles - R12800.00

Comes with a Deore crank so if you want to upgrade to an SLX crank you probably need about R500.00

This is a Scale, I see you were looking at the Spark

26" Makes a better playbike, but 29" will suit your size much better. If doing wheelies and spinning around on your back wheel is most important, stick to 26".

Tallboy alu for sure.

I really am liking the TallBoy and R.I.P 9, the reviews all things considering are pretty much saying... for my personal requirements... come and get me.

Called Olympic Cycles (who do both Niner and Santa Cruz), and they said obviously all down to components... could range from 18k to 50k, so doesn't really mean much to me.

I'd love to know what people have been paying for their various specced R.I.P 9's and Tallboys, if they would be happy to divulge such trade secrets...

Well I could almost gaurantee you they are not doing many 18k builds from Tallboy or R.I.P 9 frames. You might get a wheelset, bars and seat post with your frame for that money.

Well I could almost gaurantee you they are not doing many 18k builds from Tallboy or R.I.P 9 frames. You might get a wheelset, bars and seat post with your frame for that money.

Agree, 18k would be nice, but very optimistic... 36k is more on the money for their Tall Boy 'entry options', a bit too much to wait and save up for, I need fun now/sooner :)

So I have narrowed it down to 3 bikes, with the potential to upgrade my frame at a later stage if I feel the need, or sell the bike and upgrade... but that's for the distant future...

For around 18-22k, I'm down to 3 options, with the X29 1 and X29 2 being so close in price, but are the components worth the additional R4k odd?

Giant ANTHEM X29 1 R22,999

Giant ANTHEM X29 2 R18,850

Momsen Dual Link 6 R18,500

Scott Spark Elite 29er R21,000 +-

The Momsen is the 'good looking' Dark Horse out of the lot (and is only available in December, and the HT's got great reviews...), with the Giant's being the 'safe' resale options, and the Scott being an unknown quantity, and seemingly more of a race setup bias over trail...

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_us/bikes/models/images/550/2012/Anthem_X_29er_1.jpg

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_ca/bikes/models/images/550/2012/Anthem_X_29er_2_sm.jpg

http://www.momsenbikes.com/images/bikes/DL629_single_bike_zoom_web.jpg

http://products.scott-sports.com/221700/500/221700.jpg

Before getting fixated on price only for a daullie be it 26'er or 29'er first make sure you choice the right bike with respect to the suspension action and handling ... do your research and make sure.

The Giant Anthem has received rather good reviews as to did the Tall Boy and Niner .... then most importantly you need to get on the bike and make sure it is right for you.

Goodluck

H