Dear Giant, please send the Reign to South Africa

wesley_r

Take a look at the Reign 2:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/reign.2/9035/48905/

Looking at the average ratio of US RRP to SA RRP according to Giant's site, that would retail for about 17k here. Looking at the parts spec (which is neither here nor there), that should be a good seller (plus there's 2, more expensive, options - I just picked the cheapest). Yet I doubt we'll see it here. Such a pity - with Giant's Maestro suspension and the Reign's legacy I am sure there would be many people in line to buy one.

Is the mid-travel / AM / trail market in our country really that poor? Does no-one buy a 150mm travel bike? Why are Giant not bringing these bikes in?

Keen to hear other hubbers' thoughts on this...

Edited by the_wes

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

five minutes after I posted a comment on Dragons blog with this exact motive. Are you a clairvoyant Wes?

there is a problem with this bike, well, may or may not be, it depends on your ride.

I ride the 05 model (which you know Wes) and chain slap has always been a limiting factor to all out descending velocity. I have tried chain devices but without the proper grinding mods, the Maestro design does not allow the space for something like this to fit. There are products like the stinger and ... I forget.. that mount on the BB.. BUT.. 2012 has gone press fit rendering the limited 2 thread dependent options useless.

Does this mean we really want to see the Reign X return? Well at 29 pounds incl pedals, I think so.

Not sure why the AM/Trail market isn't picking up quicker. Somehow the SA market is more focussed on XC, marathon etc. And the sad thing is we've got all the terrain for AM you could ever ask for. Dunno, maybe it's just that the cycling co's in SA aren't promoting it more? If you don't advertise it, the people won't know about it?

:thumbup: Nice bike!

Why are we limited to only certain models in SA?

Even other brands don't stock everything. Who knows, give us the option and we'll create a market for you.

:thumbup: Nice bike!

Why are we limited to only certain models in SA?

Even other brands don't stock everything. Who knows, give us the option and we'll create a market for you.

Have you seen how big Giant's entire catalogue is? We had two versions in the shop: the world and SA ones. The former was about three times as thick as the latter.

Have you seen how big Giant's entire catalogue is? We had two versions in the shop: the world and SA ones. The former was about three times as thick as the latter.

Yip, that's sad. I had a look when I was shopping around (even on the TREK range) - I would have definitely considered something like this.

Spoke to the Giant rep in Europe. In Europe they sell 4 trance for every anthem in SA they sell 6 anthems for every trance.

Says the SA dudes are very race focused whereas in USA and Europe am/trail is the most popular form of the sport.

Yip, that's sad. I had a look when I was shopping around (even on the TREK range) - I would have definitely considered something like this.

It is sad, but we are a tiny market in global terms.

As I said, @GiantRSA (Dragons' account) posted a pic on Twitter, so maybe they're thinking about bringing it in again.

You can get a second hand one here now :) --- LINK

dude, you're killing me :lol:

It is sad, but we are a tiny market in global terms.

As I said, @GiantRSA (Dragons' account) posted a pic on Twitter, so maybe they're thinking about bringing it in again.

Let's hope :thumbup: I've already bought my trail / AM rig though :lol: