Tokai Notice: Tree felling actvity

(Deon)

Hi all,

Tree thinning has commenced on the Boulders block and has resulted in the temporary closure of half of the trail from DH1 crossing to the entry/exit on the Jeeptrack (Mamba side just before the Silvermine/Mast route junction). Closures will continue until the end of Sept/early Oct.

Parks management apologies for the inconvenience and advises care and consideration at all times when approaching any commercial activity on the mountain.

Cheers

Deon

AMA Tokai

Edited by Pain or Shine

That is a fact.

Boulders is destined for a bit of TLC, lets see what the destruction brings. :( emoticonfused :)

Edited by Pain or Shine

What is tree thinning?

A. the process of feeding the trees less and not after 4:30.

B. cutting down trees on every 2nd row to thin out the block.

C. comparing your gut to the thickness of a tree trunk. Used when deciding to go on diet or not.

Only one answer is correct.

So when you hear a MX bike BEWARE it is a chain saw.

Those before us murdered the original trees. Let them kill the intruders and maybe our great grandchildren can then see what really grow there.

A. the process of feeding the trees less and not after 4:30.

B. cutting down trees on every 2nd row to thin out the block.

C. comparing your gut to the thickness of a tree trunk. Used when deciding to go on diet or not.

Only one answer is correct.

Is this where they will stop or do they plan to take them all down on that section?

Haai, andiaas!

For now, that is as far as they will go, but as soon as that block is chubba enough, gone!

I have been discussing the future growth with Tony Rebelo and in his own words.. "Plant as much Silvertree and Keurhout as you can".. Silvertree will grow to an average height of 3m and at the rate of 500mm/year. I have SANParks permission to build a nursery in Tokai where seedlings will grow for slope rehabilitation from the Quarry up to the highest ST on level 5. I will be looking for volunteers and funding because this will be a project bigger than me. Seed collection will start in November from the Price drive Silvertrees in Constantia.

Photos dating back to mid 1800's show Tokai to be covered in Silvertree. This BTW will be one of the first natural forests restored to former growth.. also the first forest restored since the announcement that the pines will be cut. Quite topical if I may say, and restored by the mountainbikers to boot!

Who says MTB is not ecologically freindly??

Edited by Pain or Shine

Haai, andiaas!

For now, that is as far as they will go, but as soon as that block is chubba enough, gone!

I have been discussing the future growth with Tony Rebelo and in his own words.. "Plant as much Silvertree and Keurhout as you can".. Silvertree will grow to an average height of 3m and at the rate of 500mm/year. I have SANParks permission to build a nursery in Tokai where seedlings will grow for slope rehabilitation from the Quarry up to the highest ST on level 5. I will be looking for volunteers and funding because this will be a project bigger than me. Seed collection will start in November from the Price drive Silvertrees in Constantia.

Photos dating back to mid 1800's show Tokai to be covered in Silvertree. This BTW will be one of the first natural forests restored to former growth.. also the first forest restored since the announcement that the pines will be cut. Quite topical if I may say, and restored by the mountainbikers to boot!

Who says MTB is not ecologically freindly??

Guess it's happening one way or another. Let me know when you need volunteers.

Boulders is my favourite track, and the trees make it. Will be sad to see it go.

Hi PorS

I like the "bigger picture" of Tokai and wish more of the Mtbikers would open their eyes, brains and hearts to it. The place is so much more than just singletrack. For Hubbers that want to see the possible long term outcome, ride a little further up to Sivermine to go and see for yourself what it looks like where the Pines were removed after the big fire about 5 years ago. You will be absolutely blown away at the moment with the flowers and the fynbos there. The place is practically covered in pincushions and proteas. Spectacular. (Just so you know, I'll miss the Pines also)