IM70.3 SA

gadget

Dude I have a guaranteed solution for your cramping problems.

You know those salt blocks that the cattle eat in the veldt?

Mount one of those on top of your tri bars and then every 5 minutes just give it a lekker lick

:clap:

post-12877-0-69712900-1322639472.jpg

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude I have a guaranteed solution for your cramping problems.

You know those salt blocks that the cattle eat in the veldt?

Mount one of those on top of your tri bars and then every 5 minutes just give it a lekker lick

:clap:

post-12877-0-69712900-1322639472.jpg

I'll have to mount one of these on my top tube to compensate

post-21263-0-55333700-1322642670.jpg

Yep the chews also work. Personally I just cant do "sweet" all day long!!

They are not sweet ;-), toned down another 30% :-), all day?? its only 2.5 hours on the bike LOL

Will the salty food help to prevent cramping? seem to always suffer from about 4km on the run. I do 3 bricks a week so hope its not a training issue

Cramping is 90% training, but 3 bricks a week? thats an over kill once a week is more than enough. The entire key to a great 70.3 is pace on the swim, hold back slightly on the bike and then cruise the run. If you put in the pace and effort required of each discipline you should not have any issues ;-), my next 70.3 will be my 19th :-)

I am a nutrition expert and of

Course being an athlete am

Heavily involved in the design of the products, I feel the pain of an

Athlete so I understand intimately the requirements u might be interested to read an article I wrote on development it's a good read but u will see how well thought out and tested everything is :-)

My 2c on cramping is that the prevention starts a couple of days before the race not on the race, once u start cramping ur pretty much cooked.

I am interested!

Hi Garfield, here it is see below, this was written a few months back.

Its actually very easy to churn out an energy product. If you have a look at the abundance of carbohydrates available on the market, minerals and other elements which are all freely available, one could really make their own drink if they really wanted. We at 32Gi, do things a little differently.

For one, all 32Gi products are developed and tested by professional and amateur athletes, and there is a lot that goes into product testing before we even decide to put it into the market. We know that when you consume our product, we hold complete responsibility for what will happen once its in your system, and once something is consumed you have no control over what it is going to do. So how do we test products at 32Gi. Well its not simple, its actually quite painful and rigorous and some of us athletes really suffer until we are positive the product meets all our requirements.

What are these requirements you ask?

DIGESTIVE FUNCTION

Firstly we test the impact of the product on the digestive system. This is so important during any sporting event. Imagine you are riding your bicycle and experience stomach discomfort, or heart burn. Not a pleasant feeling and definitely not where you want to be in the middle of exercise. When a person is training or racing, whether its low or high intensity, in any sport, we want to make sure that the digestive system feels comfortable from the beginning to the end. How do we test it?

Simple we put it through the human test bed. We first test it with a contained number of top elite and amateur athletes, and we analyse every aspect of the product, from consumption before training, during training and after training. We want to make sure there is no discomfort whatsoever and that the athlete will feel good on it constantly. We then roll it out to a wider test bed of over a 100 athletes elite and amateur, and again we analyse the feedback. We do not tolerate even one athlete experiencing discomfort. If thats the case, we analyse him or her, we go back to the drawing board and we put the product back through its testing phases.

FUNCTIONALITY

The next step is of course functionality. Can the product do what it is designed to do. We certainly make sure it does. We use the same test bed of professional and amateur athletes, across a multitude of sports. Our main product function must be balanced and sustainable energy, and we do time measurements with consumption as well. Testing the functionality of a product requires extremely strict dieting beforehand then consuming it and then putting it through its paces. This can be low intensity endurance sessions or high intensity sessions. We often take our testing to its limits even bonking (hitting the wall) as many times as it takes to verify the sustainability of the product under a variety of conditions.We incorperate periodic blood glucose testing before, during and after training to ensure stability, and to measure the sustainable effect.We question how the athletes feel at all phases of an exercise session. Emotional stress during a sporting event needs to be mitigated as much as possible, and product consumption can cause highs and lows, we are looking for balance.

The product is tested across a variety of sports from swimming, cycling, running, triathlon, canoeing, motorcross, orienteering, squash, tennis, soccer, rugby and more.

Once we are satisfied with the functionality we broaden the test bed, and analyse the results, we want a 100% success rate across the board, if it means going back to the design board and putting ourselves through these rigorous paces again then we will.

TASTE

This is such an important aspect of a sports supplement. Every person in this world is unique, each with their own different taste, and there is certainly not one product taste that suites every single person. At 32Gi we develop the tastes with the help of a Swiss chef who is reknowned for blending. We want to make sure that all our product tastes have a suitor, and are acceptable across the board. Again there is a rigorous testing procedure and this is actually sometimes tougher than a functionality test. Why you might ask? Simple, the pallet actually changes slightly during the course of exercise. After spending many hours in the heat our sense of taste becomes really heightened and often a product that provides sweetness can prove to be the least satisfying to our tongues. A product taste and texture can make a person reject a product totally during the course of exercise, and what is acceptable to a person at rest, might not be acceptable to an athlete on the ride or run. We do our utmost to ensure that testing is carried out under a variety of conditions. In the heat, in the cold and under duration in order to achieve the best possible taste we can for our customers under all possible conditions.

PACKAGING

Although its not directly related to the product. It is such an important factor in many sports. Take cycling for example, while you are riding a bike, how are you going to carry the product, how are you going to get access to the product, and when you do, how technical is it to extract the product from its packaging. These all have to be taken into consideration. Many months ago, we designed a new chew package, I went out on a ride, I reached into my back pocket to pull it out. I battled with my teeth to rip the top off the packaging, then I had to figure out how to get them out. This was inconvenient, and if I as an athlete experienced this, other athletes would experience this as well. To us it was unacceptable, convenience and safety was key. So we went back to the drawing board. What we came up with was unique. A chew that has a high melting point, and does not need to be contained within the packaging due to its heat reslient nature. The solution: Open the packaging before hand, pour the chews out loosley into your cycling jersey or bag, and when you want to eat, just eat, no sitckiness, no mess and no fuss. Quick simple access and convenience. We took this a step further for other sports. We got a query once from an athlete that did the Southern Storm trail run, and you are bound to get wet. He did not want to expose the chews to the water, and so requested waterproof packaging. This was a simple design change in order to cater for this gap. We were also asked to provide a narrower packaging for the chews. Due to their nature and not wanting to decrease product content, we enlarged the packaging size. Why would we do that when you want to narrow it? Simple, an athlete could now fold the packaging in half providing him the narrow packaging, but still the same calorie content. These are just simple examples to demonstrate the intense thought process that goes into designing a product which covers a lot of bases across a wide variety of sporting events.

ETHICS

Finally the ethics debate. This is where we really make sure we provide a product that is not just suitable for a professional athlete, but also for a child. We believe the simpler the more natural the better. We want a clean product which provides exactly what its intended for. Children have limited RDA (Required Daily Allowances) of certain elements whether it be a mineral, vitamin, carbohydrate, protein or fat. We keep our product ingredients to its basic and natural form, natural food is the first source of such nutrients. At 32Gi we completely believe that a person does not deserve a supplement until they learn how to eat correctly. There are no quick fixes, no miracle formulas. There is a constant need for lifestyle and health improvement and nutrition plays such an important role in not just sports and performance, but in our everyday lives. Once you have understood where your priorities lie, and you are on a path of proper nutrition, the supplements are there as a supplement to a healthy diet, not a replacement. The largest problem we find with supplements is that a manufacturer will look at scientific principals across 50 or more compounds which promise some sort of performance enhancement, they then pile the entire list of ingredients into a single product. When a user drinks such a product, he might only need 1 or 2 elements of it and the rest plays havoc with their internal organs and bodies balance. We again stress the need for a element playing its exact intended role, its not possible to do more, each person is an individual and each person has unique requirements, health in our labs ALWAYS comes first.

We have a number of new products coming out shortly, stay tuned for more, but in the mean time back to the rigorous testing to ensure the highest quality products for all our athletes

• 2 weeks later...

I see on the profile that the cycle starts at about 71m and climbs to 527m at the turn around point.

What is the total accent for the route and how does the route compare in time with the 94.7?

If i did a 3:30 for 94.7 what can I realistically expect at the 70.3?

I see on the profile that the cycle starts at about 71m and climbs to 527m at the turn around point.

What is the total accent for the route

"This is a 90km Bike Ride in East London, South Africa. The Bike Ride has a total ascent of 697 m and has a maximum elevation of 527m."

Can't answer the rest, but I will be careful to try and target same times as 94.7. There is a little warm-up swim before and warm down run afterwards to consider in 70.3

Edited by gadget

Plus, zero drafting and probably severe weather conditions. I would guestimate that you can add about 15-30mins to your 94.7 time. So without any advancement in your overall cycling ability between the two races, I would think you can aim for around a 3h45ish in the 70.3 but there are a lot of factors such as in 94.7 you push at race pace and in 70.3 race pace is a lot more "chilled".