Advice on best gear ratio (road)

Buffwhack

Please can some of you cycle heads advise best gearing set up to ride with for the type of riding we do in Gauteng. Undulating, flat and sometime Suikerbos. I am not a power house. Currently have 53/39 and 12/25.

Thanks

Im not the worlds best cyclist by a long shot. But your ratio sounds good to me. I ride 53-39 11-25 in races and train on 53-39 11-23. The only thing I would advise is changing to a 11-25 for that extra bit of speed.That way you dont lose your climbing ratios. My 2c

52/39 or at the most 53/39 on the front, and 11/23 (nine or ten speed at the back). If you have a ten speed and can lie with a straight face then allow yourself a 11/25. (Never admit it though, and you must be able to provide your pensioners card to buy it anyway). In "reality" there is no other cluster than a 11/23, and no manufacturer will admit ever making anything else. If you are really strong then a 11/21 can be obtained and used honestly.

Style man and Pantini's ghost would call you a Mtbker if you use anything else.

Don't even ask about triple cranks or compact cranks. Just don't. OKAY?!

52/39 or at the most 53/39 on the front, and 11/23 (nine or ten speed at the back). If you have a ten speed and can lie with a straight face then allow yourself a 11/25. (Never admit it though, and you must be able to provide your pensioners card to buy it anyway). In "reality" there is no other cluster than a 11/23, and no manufacturer will admit ever making anything else. If you are really strong then a 11/21 can be obtained and used honestly.

Thanks for the feedback

Well, I have always ridden 53/39 and 12-25. I have a heavy bone structure :D

I bought a new bike recently and did the maths. a 50/11 is a stronger gear than a 53/12 and the compact allows me to climb most hills. People should not diss a compact so easily. I opted for a compact and have not regretted it.

to the OP - you ratios seem fine for the intended riding.

I use 53/39 with a 11-27. Its kinda like having a 9 speed 11-24 at the back with an emergency 27 ring if I cramp up a really steep climb. I don't ever admit to using the 27 though...:blush:

Well, I have always ridden 53/39 and 12-25. I have a heavy bone structure :D

I bought a new bike recently and did the maths. a 50/11 is a stronger gear than a 53/12 and the compact allows me to climb most hills. People should not diss a compact so easily. I opted for a compact and have not regretted it.

to the OP - you ratios seem fine for the intended riding.

+1

swopped my 53/39 for a compact crank and have never looked back.

what a pleasure. It's an all rounder especially with 11/25

Edited by CC307

. People should not diss a compact so easily. I opted for a compact and have not regretted it.

Pansy!

I have done compact and regretted it! Maybe one day when I am 60 and doing my 40th Argus with the grand kids, Ill consider compact again. Ill be happy then because I know my top speed won't go above 40km/h much.

When I first got compact I had 50/34 with 11/21. Loved the close gear ratio but span out to quickly. Couple of races later changed the blades (searched forever and imported in the end) to 52/36 with 11/23. It was better but I was still missing that top speed.

After a while decided, stuff this and got a standard crank again. 53/39 with 11/25.

The compact is more versatile and you can even get 53/39 blades for it although flex in the blade might become an issue, I heard, never bothered to get them. Compact doesn't suit my riding style. If you like high cadence, it will work for you.

Currently have 54/40 with 11/25 and couldn't be happier.

Lesson learnt, whatever you do, do not get rid of 11 and have at least 53 ... en die res is n bysaak :thumbup:

On one of the climbs in the Veulta, that was a stunning 23% (for faaaaarrkkksss sake!!!!) They were riding a 33/29.

23%!?!

How is is possible.

Other wise a standers 53/39 and 23/11.

Did you know you can work out the development by deviding the gear on the front by the gear on the back?

They got worked out, don't development riders have their own group now?

Sheldon Brown has a nice gear calculator on his site is you want to work out some sums ;)

They got worked out, don't development riders have their own group now?

Sheldon Brown has a nice gear calculator on his site is you want to work out some sums ;)

:lol:

Pansy!

Currently have 54/40 with 11/25 and couldn't be happier.

Lesson learnt, whatever you do, do not get rid of 11 and have at least 53 ... en die res is n bysaak :thumbup:

You should try riding more varied routes, your mind will soon change. With that ratio, you are either an 80's ex pro (they had nothing else) or you ride downhill most of the time. Not many people ride a 54 on a road bike - you must be very fast!

Edited by bontie