Bad Attitude on the Hub

tunariaan

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only do shorter events.... 50km and i'm poked, but who cares, it's good fun!

It's all in the attitude and the approach, your attitude is right, we don't see you sitting here boasting about your results :thumbup:

It's all in the attitude and the approach, your attitude is right, we don't see you sitting here boasting about your results :thumbup:

well i did do the nissan van gaalen 40km in 4:10:32 last year. average speed was under 10km/h :lol:

well i did do the nissan van gaalen 40km in 4:10:32 last year. average speed was under 10km/h :lol:

I take my hat off to you sir :D

Mj, MJ, Mj, you are an old hubber my friend, and the Big Tuna has sucked you in to his game now..

Re. shorter events, weekend warriors, and school kids are the ones who do most of these events, so to go and race agains peeps who don't take the race or themselves too serious and brag about a top three spot is kinda like stealing candy from a baby.

I call them trophy hunters, same as the oke who does a race in Gatskopdorpsonnerwater, he gets a podium there and starts looking for small events all over the place so he can get a podium because all the big players are at the bigger events.

XC nationals and provincials are shorter events as well as XC world champs, so if someone really wants to prove how good they are, there is the platform against real hard competitors.

You know, I just don't fully agree with you. You see, I have a daytime job from 08:00 to 17:00. Most of my training gets done after 17:00. Most of that is on a spinning bike in the gym and most of that is between 60 and 90min. Then on weekends, maybe 2 long rides of 2hr's each. So do the math and you get to 8 - 12hours a week. More 8 than 12 (Includes one rest day.)

I am not a pro. I wish I was...but I am not. I can not sleep half of the day and train the other half. Hence, I can not compete in world champs and nationals. I wish I could...But I can't.

I take exception with this:

Re. shorter events, weekend warriors, and school kids are the ones who do most of these events, so to go and race agains peeps who don't take the race or themselves too serious and brag about a top three spot is kinda like stealing candy from a baby.

All you have left out above are the roadies...But when I do a short event, hell yes I take it serious. I go and give it everything I have.

For you to downplay my efforts - not nice! I do what I can with what I have. I am not you. I don't do 24hr races (and win them) I just don't have the time to do it. If I did, I would! I would LOVE to train more. I would love to kick some pro ass!!! But my wife depends on me. Not to be a cyclist. But to provide! So I have to work. And cycling will be number 2 in my life always!

Don't tell me that what I do is not good enough. It might not be for you, but it is for me!

You know, I just don't fully agree with you. You see, I have a daytime job from 08:00 to 17:00. Most of my training gets done after 17:00. Most of that is on a spinning bike in the gym and most of that is between 60 and 90min. Then on weekends, maybe 2 long rides of 2hr's each. So do the math and you get to 8 - 12hours a week. More 8 than 12 (Includes one rest day.)

I am not a pro. I wish I was...but I am not. I can not sleep half of the day and train the other half. Hence, I can not compete in world champs and nationals. I wish I could...But I can't.

I take exception with this:

All you have left out above are the roadies...But when I do a short event, hell yes I take it serious. I go and give it everything I have.

For you to downplay my efforts - not nice! I do what I can with what I have. I am not you. I don't do 24hr races (and win them) I just don't have the time to do it. If I did, I would! I would LOVE to train more. I would love to kick some pro ass!!! But my wife depends on me. Not to be a cyclist. But to provide! So I have to work. And cycling will be number 2 in my life always!

Don't tell me that what I do is not good enough. It might not be for you, but it is for me!

MJ, you do what you have done well here in the past, you go off on a complete tangent and become quite personal in your responses.

Whether you take exception to what I said or not, it's a fact.

You asked what hubbers issue was with shorter events, I simply laid it out for you.

if you want to take it personal, then go with it, I am actually quite offended by the fact that you took it personal and went off on a tangent as you usually do.

8-12 hours a week is more than what is required to race any full marathon distance .

As you my time is limited, so I am up at 4:00 am in the day and I then run after 17:00 pm. at night, I work a full seven day a week job, so we are in the same boat.

I also have a wife and two kids who depend on me.

What have roadies got to do with this ?

Again, you say I am trying to downplay YOUR efforts and tell YOU what you do is not good enough, sad, sad, sad, that you had to go and attach your name to everything I said.

^ MJ, well said.

Of course he did, as you and I can't stand the sight of one another :thumbup:

Oh and a pm. threat will be most welcome.

Edited by Dangle

What is it with you peeps and "short races"?

bring your MTB and let me and you go do a 40km and let us put your theory to test.

You asked the question, you also laid down the challenge .

You asked the question, you also laid down the challenge .

Yes I did. And it will only (as always) be greated with words.

Look mate, I remember when I "won" my first race. It was 2009 - my second ever MTB race. It was 20km. Emperors palace mtb race. I did it in less than 60min. I was CHUFFED as you would not believe. I told everyone and their dog about the result! I

Why is it that when a person does good, someone will always trample on his efforts?

In time I realised while at that stage I felt the result was awsome, today, I can just smile at myself.

I will leave you with this: I am well aware of your accomplishments dear Dangle. And I know that you are a kick ass cyclist. And I know how you feel about people who go on about winning a 20km race. However, just move over a bit and let the sun shine on the little guy too!

Look mate, I remember when I "won" my first race. It was 2009 - my second ever MTB race. It was 20km. Emperors palace mtb race. I did it in less than 60min. I was CHUFFED as you would not believe. I told everyone and their dog about the result! I

No problem with that, but again I re-iterate, you asked a question because as much as you are making me to be a culprit here, there are many hubbers who laugh at the small race syndrome, you have picked up on this over time and that has led you to your question.

All this in a thread where you have decided to become personal as you have totally missed the context in which manner the small race issue came to be.

Go back to the start of the thread where hubbers are being accused of being people with a bad attitude, and then the OP continues to dig a deeper hole for himself as he carries on boasting, then he just has to go and mention the smaller races.

This was not greeted to friendly by many hubbers here, and most comments were made in jest and tongue in cheek, this was never about you, and for you to go off on a tangent trying to paint a picture of myself where it gives the impression that I look down on people, totally contextualised the heading of this topic.

Racing bicycles and doing the sport for either the love or the challenge there off is all what it is suppose to be. Why must there be personal attacks and a he said she said scenario? Some of you guys are superb athletes but that does not mean the lesser rider is not an athlete either.

We can not all be champions. But we can all be ambassadors for the sport.

Ahh nothing like some light hearted entertainment on a rainy Sunday afternoon!

Popcorn - check

post-12790-0-97281000-1316340877.jpeg

Beer - check

post-12790-0-96224100-1316340891.jpg

Lazyboy - check

post-12790-0-34428900-1316340980.jpg