Hope vs Avid rotor?

Cyclocross

I see I can get a 183mm Hope Mono 6 Saw Disc for a similar price at CRC as the Avid 185mm Clean Sweep X Rotor from the new guys (Cycles Online). In fact Avid is cheaper by a few rand and VAT, but will require postage, go assume they are similar in price.

Which would hubbers choose? (It's for a xc bike, not downhill or even FR).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16457

http://www.cyclesonline.co.za/p17072610/Avid-Clean-Sweep-X-Rotor.aspx

I have used both, but like the hopes more.

They didn’t fit in my XT brake units to well, so the calliper unit needed some filing down.

Don’t think you will have this issue with Avids.

Both are floating rotors, so I guess is down to personal choice.

Hope are generally a bit more expensive but all so nicely made ... but that's coming from a Hope brand loyalist. CRC have a limited range of colours on the larger rotors, UK Bike Store has a bigger range.

Edited by kosmonooit

Guest Omega Man

Take a look at the superstar components website. They are substantially cheaper than Hopes.

Take a look at the superstar components website. They are substantially cheaper than Hopes.

Have you used them? I'd be interested to hear how they perform.

Hope all the way, have always found the Avids noisy.

My Avids were always terribly noisy. In trying to find out why I came across the infamous Turkey-gobbling thread on mtbr.com. That was how the OP described the noise, and the term stuck for 20 odd pages.

I never succeeded in quieting them down, so went for Clarks Skeletals, they make just the same noise, stop me in just the same time, but cost 1/3 of the price.

Guest Omega Man

Have you used them? I'd be interested to hear how they perform.

I've not bought the floating rotors from them but i've bought grips, pedals and a standard rotor from them. It took AAAAAAAAGGGESSSS to get here so pay for the premium delivery option.

The part's I bought were very well made and when the time comes I will be buying more grips and floating rotors from them.

I've not bought the floating rotors from them but i've bought grips, pedals and a standard rotor from them. It took AAAAAAAAGGGESSSS to get here so pay for the premium delivery option.

The part's I bought were very well made and when the time comes I will be buying more grips and floating rotors from them.

Let me know when you decide to. Maybe I'll join your order if that's OK to minimise shipping..

If you have the 185mm brake adapter (or whatever the thing is), can you take the 183mm rotor?

Edited by PeterWest

it should PW. might have to remove one of the tri-align washers and use a normal flat but thinner washer. i doubt the 2mm difference would lose u proper pad contact onto the disc.

Sweet thanks, looks like Giant forgot to cut metal of half the rotor, so half the rotor is solid metal, so I want to get the Hope's. Thanks Cap

Peter: i'm assuming you have avid brakes tobegin with, hence the mention of those tri-align domed shaped washers for the brake mount adapters.

But let us know if you came right. I doubt it will be a problem at all.

Edited by Capricorn

yeah, it should work Peter. IIRC, somewhere in the stock of domed spaces for the caliper mount adapter, there should be a flat washer. Probably quite a bit more than 2mm thick,but swop that out with another washer 2mm thinner and you'd be golden.

but somehow, i'm doubting you have to go to that length. Just however, make sure you getting decent pad contact.