BMX / SS freewheels

Nuffy

I’m having great difficulty finding a decent freewheel/sprocket for my singlespeed. The first one was noisy but worked, the sprocket ring on the second one snapped in two, the ratchets on the third one wore out in a few weeks and it started jamming, and my brand new R230 Shimano one is noisier and grindier than all of the others. As well as this, none of the bike shops I’ve tried can sell me the tool to remove them.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent replacement (16T & 17T), or can anyone recommend a brand? Where could I get the tool?

To be clear, I’m talking about a standard English-thread screw-on BMX-type freewheel. And aside from being told to get a cassette hub instead, I’d appreciate any advice.

I've used Shimano (also 16 & 17t) and found them to be very quiet. I regularly drip oil between the chrome sprocket and black steel body to keep it running. Grit does get in but doesn't affect performance or noise.

Although I have the Pedro's tool (thanks JensonUSA several years ago), I have found that I need a shop to do it as I can't get enough leverage on it to undo it while keeping the teeth of the tool engaged. Risk to knuckles is too great :)

I also found that I changed them less and less once I found my prefered ratio so no biggie for me.

My new ss pony has a splined freewheel.

Thanks for the reply, Cyclocross. Maybe I got a dud. It felt really bad right out of the box, before it had a chance to get dirty.

As for removing it, I think you really need a vice to put the tool in. Then you “drive the bus”. I wouldn’t want to try it with a spanner either.

Nuffy, we use the Shimano for our BMX bikes and no issues for years. Make sure the Shimano is the shiny silver one and not the dark/black one..

If you are prepared to spend... google White Industries BMX freewheel.... Or the new ACS..

Thanks KDEE. I must apologise for the rant above. In the case of the Shimano one I just needed a good amount of lube on the chain. Doh! It seems to be running nicely now, and I’ve got a spare one and a spare ACS one, so hopefully they’ll last me a while.

I managed to find the tool at one shop, Greg Minnaar Cycles, but it’s R395. For that plus the freewheel I could get a new cassette hub, so I’m going to try making one instead.

Thanks fellas. I’ve moved back to Zim now, so I’ll see if I can find the tool here, or make one myself.