What do you do in this situation??

Konaman

A friend of mine with a bike shop in a small town in the Eastern Cape, phoned me yesterday morning.

A farmer brought in a Mavic Crossmax SL disc tubeless wheelset the previous day. Apparently this farmer's one worker is having problems in that he can't fit tubes as the valves are in the way, and he cannot get it out.

My conclusion: where will a farm worker get a R10k set of wheels, for probably his dikwiel bicycle.

I told this friend of mine to phone the police immediately so that they can establish the origin of this wheelset. They will probably also find a very expensive bike in doing so.

He was not keen to get involved. I feel he is wrong!

What would you do in a case like this?

Edited by Konaman

Say you were in the shop when the wheels came in and phone the cops. There can be zero tolerance if this is to be stopped.

Sometime we must make tough decisions based on what we believe in. If your gut says there is something wrong, what's the harm in following the lead.

Your friend however has obviously not felt the effects of bike crime yet.

Having Knowledge of a potentially criminal event, and wilfully (or not) failing to report that event to the relevant authorities will include you as abparty to the crime, and therefore render you as equally prosecutable as the offending party.

Report it.

Edit: Pain or Shine put it more eloquently than I. Bottom line: you have a duty to report it...

Edited by cptmayhem

INSTALL A HAND GRANADE IN THE FRONT HUB.

Yes, phone the A-team!

Hey DJR, let me guess, you "love it when a plan comes together." ??

Having Knowledge of a potentially criminal event, and wilfully (or not) failing to report that event to the relevant authorities will include you as a b party to the crime, and therefore render you as equally prosecutable as the offending party.

Report it.

Edit: Pain or Shine put it more eloquently than I. Bottom line: you have a duty to report it...

Fixed ;)

Konaman, find out who the farmer is and then discuss it with him too. There are a few farmers in the area who are keen cyclists, done Epic etc, and it may be a cast off bike. But don't leave it, please.

I spoke to bikeshop this morning - a detective is now coming on Monday to take it further. Will keep you posted

The shop owner probably doesn't want to get involved because he probably thinks that if the worker gets into trouble, then he will think it was the shop that reported it and thus want to get him back. Burn the shop down, something like that. The shop owner doesn't want to get victimized by reporting it. Personally, I'd report it. This **** has to end. I don't care if its racist or anything, but if I check any township black oke on anything more than a R600 Makro bike, I have my suspicions about where it came from.

I spoke to bikeshop this morning - a detective is now coming on Monday to take it further. Will keep you posted

Good on you Konaman for taking this further - there may be an explanation for this but it sounds suspicious and worth checking out.

Edited by nickc