What should I know...

MJ the Expat

Ok, long story short: My car broke down on Tuesday. It was enough to nudge me in selling it. So now I am taking the wife's car and getting her a new one.

So I am thinking about putting on something like a Thule bike carrier - the ride on type not the hangon or clip on stuff.

With this kind off carier, apart from the obvious - people smacking into the car from behind etc, what should I be aware off? Or should I rather ask how damage proof will my bikes be on the back?

I think driving in the rain will collect a lot af dirt from the backdraft of the car...Yes?

Edited by The real MJ

Less fuel used than roof rack, also you can't drive into stuff but yes colision from behind will damage the bikes. Dust from a dirt road is a given.

IMO for 2 bikes get a 3 bike carrier, so much easier. 3 can be fitted to a 3 bike and so forth but going one up I find there is more space, less damage and less hassle.

The racks are quite cumbersome to store, they do fold but still big and mine is 15kg so not light either, though you are a spier tier so shouldn't pose an issue :P

Some racks do not have reverse lights, keep that in mind.

You will need to get car plates made for it to be legal. check that the light coupling is the same on the car and the rack.

Check that the towbar can take the weight if the rack with bikes. Also the rack has a bike weight limit so ensure yours are light enough.

The cheaper thules dont lock the bike to the carrier as standard, you need to get locks of your own or get the thule locks.

They also use straps for the wheels,the nice racks use ratchets which seem more secure.

The bike may touch the rack frame where the clamps mount so I put a slapsock on the rack to stop crank rub.

Think that's about it

Thanks for da feedback boet! It is time to go shopping. Again. I think the Thule Euroride is what I should shop for.

PS: How on earth will I know if the towbar will handle 2 x 15kg bikes and a 15kg rack? What do you have?

Edited by The real MJ

I have the thule new raceway, it's a "strap" rack ie no towbar but it has the platform like the ride-ons have. The "straps" though are covered steel cabling, bikes lock onto the rack and rack "locks" onto the car (can't be removed without cutting the cables, which is about 5mm thick, easy work for a boltcutter but will definately deter the opportunistic thief). It's a two-bike rack and the weight limit is 35kg.

I'm very happy with it, suits my needs perfectly as neither our cars have towbars. Might be an option for you?

I have the thule new raceway, it's a "strap" rack ie no towbar but it has the platform like the ride-ons have. The "straps" though are covered steel cabling, bikes lock onto the rack and rack "locks" onto the car (can't be removed without cutting the cables, which is about 5mm thick, easy work for a boltcutter but will definately deter the opportunistic thief). It's a two-bike rack and the weight limit is 35kg.

I'm very happy with it, suits my needs perfectly as neither our cars have towbars. Might be an option for you?

Thanks boet.

I am still trying to get a quote for a towbar first. I thought it was as easy as picking up the phone...But I was wrong...

I will be able to use the towbar in the future.

Edited by The real MJ

Thanks boet.

I am still trying to get a quote for a towbar first. I thought it was as easy as picking up the phone...But I was wrong...

I will be able to use the towbar in the future.

Makes sense to get one then, it would have been useless for me to have one fitted just for the bikes. Useless and way too expensive.

Makes sense to get one then, it would have been useless for me to have one fitted just for the bikes. Useless and way too expensive.

I was looking at a roofrack but the roofrack is as expensive as a rear rack with towbar...Imight even go for a secondhand towbar IF I can find one. Scrapyard maybe...But time is limited...

There's a place called Blitz Towbars or something in Skinner Street, I think they have secondhand towbars as well. My father-in-law had one fitted there.

Part of the reason I went for the raceway is not to be limited to one car, it fits both sedans and hatchbacks and it doubles as storage for the bikes when not in use. I screwed two hooks into the wall and hung it on there. Now the wife can park under them and not drive into them (yes, that did actually happen).

Thanks for da feedback boet! It is time to go shopping. Again. I think the Thule Euroride is what I should shop for.

PS: How on earth will I know if the towbar will handle 2 x 15kg bikes and a 15kg rack? What do you have?

Nie seker nie, I know my Corsa tow bar that's removable is rated to about 50-60kg.

Thule will say how much the rack itself can handle.

Thule Euro range is also my choice, got one from CWC for 4K, 3 bike.

Euroride is the entry level one that I also have I remember correctly.

Allot cheaper but heavier, so depends what the towbar takes and what the bikes weigh if you will need the lighter rack.

The Euroway (?) can also remove the hooks and bike stands so fitting bikes on is easier.

Wheel indents can be adjusted for bike length (an issue with the Euroride that can't do it)

Better ratcheting straps and locks included.

But all I wanted was a good standing rack with clamps instead of the hanging type that scratches bikes and needs a gazillion straps to secure the bikes so taking that into consideration with the price the Euroride is my pick.

Oh and MJ you are welcome to try my rack out, just give me a buzz as I need to fetch it from our storage facility.

Or I can just mount it on the Corsa and you can fiddle with it there. Whatever :P

Nie seker nie, I know my Corsa tow bar that's removable is rated to about 50-60kg.

heh? :unsure: What type of towbar are you running then that can only take 60kg?

The weenie is spot on, if you planning on transporting 2 bikes get the "3 bike rated" carrier, I think the Thules are rated for roadbikes.

MJ,

Also give Steelite a call. Think they are in Voortrekker Road, good prices (infact the best in town if the snd option doensnt work)

heh? :unsure: What type of towbar are you running then that can only take 60kg?

I could be mistaken but that is the direct weight on it that it can take, as it is a removable type towbar.

Something like a trailer is supported by its own wheels so not an issue.

I could be mistaken but that is the direct weight on it that it can take, as it is a removable type towbar.

Something like a trailer is supported by its own wheels so not an issue.

What is the number of the Blitz towbars in Skinner, looking for a secondhand towbar for my Hilux?

What is the number of the Blitz towbars in Skinner, looking for a secondhand towbar for my Hilux?

Anyone have their details for the man ?