Highways not for cyclists - EMPD

gummibear

Johannesburg - Cyclists and pedestrians travelling on highways are a major hazard, the Ekurhuleni metro police department (EMPD) said on Sunday.

"It is not only against the traffic law for pedestrians and bicycles to be on the freeway, it is outright dangerous as vehicles move at a breakneck speed," said spokesperson Wilfred Kgasago in a statement.

He said that pedestrians and cyclists also put others in danger, as vehicles often had to use emergency lanes to avoid accidents.

Pedestrians, often school children, walked in emergency lanes with their backs to oncoming traffic, putting themselves at "enormous danger".

The EMPD had arrested dozens of pedestrians recently for jay-walking and walking on highways, Kgasago said.

"Vehicles avoiding pedestrians on the freeway could end up causing a major multi-vehicle accident or maiming or killing people on foot," he said.

- SAPA

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Highways-not-for-cyclists-EMPD-20110918

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Such as the N4(?) that people use to ride to Harties ?

Most likely. I seen dead cyclists on that highway.

It's ridiculous how many cyclists you see on the N1 in Bloemfontein. Yes, it's Bloem, but it's still the N1.

The N4 is also definitely a problem.

Cyclists and pedestrians on freeways deserve to be flattened. It is just plain stupid, and death is a good cure for stupidity.

Laws be damned - if it's safe ride on it - if it's not then don't.

If you let yourself be governed by laws alone then you're likely to end up correct and dead.

I've said it a millions times - engage brain whilst riding bicycle, driving a car or living life in general.

A pointless debate around the legality of riding on any given road is a moot argument...

Cyclists and pedestrians on freeways deserve to be flattened. It is just plain stupid, and death is a good cure for stupidity.

+ 1

Laws be damned - if it's safe ride on it - if it's not then don't.

If you let yourself be governed by laws alone then you're likely to end up correct and dead.

I've said it a millions times - engage brain whilst riding bicycle, driving a car or living life in general.

A pointless debate around the legality of riding on any given road is a moot argument...

thumbup1.gif Set sensory apparatus to high alert and ride with consideration for all road users. End of story.

You must be joking right?

Yup....that would be a highway and illigal to ride on with a bicycle. :thumbdown:

Remarkable observation by the brilliance of the Ekurhuleni metro police department :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yup.....targeting the easy ones again I see......they need $$$ for year en xmas bash. :thumbup:

Much easier to target a bike than to fine the taxi skipping the red light this morning with no license or means to pay the fine.

O how I LOVE the Metro...... <_<

You must be joking right?

Why?

It's just natural selection if you want to chance a push bike on a highway. Stupid is as stupid does.

Is that unsafe? :huh: I ride the N4 to Harties 90% of my rides... 5 or 6 days a week to tell the truth. Not dangerous at all.

I try to avoid the Bakwena to Rustenburg most of the time but I still use it 1 or 2 times a week. That is A BIT dangerous, but still not a bad piece of road.