Highways not for cyclists - EMPD

gummibear

Just learned something new regarding that "Freeway" sign...thanks LeTurbo. Always assumed that it was just there on all dual carriageways. I regularly see cyclists on the N17 out on my side of town!

Call me a "Weiner", but I tend to follow the law...just makes life a little less stressful. Take the mystery out of it. I want to enjoy the ride, not be looking out for cars with blur lights. Thats why I have a motorcycle licence. I can ride without worrying about cops.

Different strokes for different folks. If other okes want to do things differently, go for it, just dont interfere with my life.

Unfortunately, three years ago, new years day, a stupid, liberated couple let their unlicenced son take the videos back, just quickly, in Dads car. He wrote off my wifes car, with her and my two-year old son in it... Being law abiding citizens, my wife was wearing a seat belt and my son was strapped into his seat. Both OK, but we lost R70k on the new car. It could have been a lot worse.

The "law does not apply to me" is fine, unless it effects somebody else!!!

There you go :thumbup:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh! This one again - it probably deserves its own forum. Not all national roads are freeways. If the following sign appears at the on-ramp, you may not ride there. If there is no sign, it is not a freeway and is open to all traffic.

following on that - if the route markers are blue, its a highway and you arent allowed to cycle there. If the route markers are green then its ok

[quote name=Edman' timestamp :thumbup:='1316433446' post='1494033]

It's only illegal if you're driving a motor vehicle. A bicycle isn't a motor vehicle.

:thumbup:

Slightly OT

I'm just wondering, seeing as the roads aren't safe, has no one opened a road bike park yet ?

There are lots of MTB trails so why not make "trails" for road bikes ?

Slightly OT

I'm just wondering, seeing as the roads aren't safe, has no one opened a road bike park yet ?

Where's that fail emoticon?

Slightly OT

There are things like that. Normally found a pre-primary schools where kids can scoot around their bicycles and play they are on the road

Just like the emergency lane isn't for jumping ques, and the straight going lane isn't for turning because once again there is a long que. I threw a motorist with a Powerade Bottle yesterday becaus ehe tried the turn thing in a straight going lane, keeping me up...pity I missed.. His window was open.

There are things like that. Normally found a pre-primary schools where kids can scoot around their bicycles and play they are on the road

Hahah ok then will shelve that idea.... :blush:

Slightly OT

Suikerbos is as close as you get.

Please give us the definitions for:-

*highway

*freeway

*expressway

*primary road

*secondary and tertiary road

Once you know that you will know where you may or may not ride your bike.

Ride on the freeway and there is an accident you took part in an illegal activity. You are guilty by default. No insurance claim will stand as well. Your pocket or estate will foot the bills whatever they are.

following on that - if the route markers are blue, its a highway and you arent allowed to cycle there. If the route markers are green then its ok

Apparently the blue / green story does not apply. They say that not all N roads marked in blue are freeways.

That is what I was told so don't shoot me :-)

Just ask Big H, he knows all about the highway codes. No wait, you can't....

It's dejavu all over again. So long and thanks for all the (now very scarce) fish