The cost of being "out there" - Tshwane

twiga

I'm just blowing off some steam regarding the high costs of using outdoor facilities in Pretoria.

So I like to bike a couple of times a week, for additional training I do some swimming as well.

I am just totally appalled at the cost for doing these activities in an outdoor setting, using municipal facilities.

Groenkloof Membership: R 600 pa

Rietvlei Membership : R 1,200 pa (cyclists could possibly qualify for a discount)

Hillcrest Pool Membership : R 555 pa

Total R 2,355 pa

If I include hiking at Faerie Glen nature reserve (for the odd trail run after work - my closest nature reserve), add another R 400 pa

These costs are for a "go as much as you like" type membership, essentially the same kind of deal you would get out of your gym membership. I could join my local gym and pay less than R 1,500 a year and be done with it... But who wants to ride the stairmaster when you could be outside, getting some fresh air and vitamin D in the process?

Also, I am paying a crapload of moola in rates and taxes to this municipality, surely something is wrong with this picture?

Are we being shafted? Should municipalities look at implementing a "wild card" type facility where I can join any activity in the municipality for a fixed yearly rate like the national parks's system?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're whinging about a R 200 p/m cost for being able to ride where you want to ride, and contribute to the upkeep of the facilities that you're enjoying so much?

No - you're not being shafted. Do you pay DSTV R 500 plus per month? Is the enjoyment of getting on your bike, and going into the wilderness less or more enjoying than watching TV?

So if you add all of that up its costing you R230 per month for swimming, biking and trail running at four different venues. Sounds like an absolute bargain to me.

Ditto cptmayhem.

Edited by velo

I don't watch TV, so not a fair comparison to make in my case.

Granted I can probably afford it, but still R 230 a month is a lot of money for most people.

Edited by twiga

No dude, that's dirt cheap given the quality of the facilities you have just described. Also, my gym costs R529 per month, so don't know where you are going to find a gym membership for R1500 per year.

@twiga: I agree with you

@cptmayhem: you are right, I think if one does have Dstv one can surely make that argument

I think the reason why it is "shocking" is that one decides to do things outdoors, ie, not go to gym, not sit in front of the TV and you would imagine that it would be cheap, but when you start adding it up, it just sort of make you sit up and take notice. I mean yeah, for sure, these things needs to be maintained and for that you have to pay, but, it still amounts to more that you would imagine when you decide to be outdoors.

Add to that the odd race and al the others things we always talk about and golf is starting to sound like a cheap sport

No dude, that's dirt cheap given the quality of the facilities you have just described. Also, my gym costs R529 per month, so don't know where you are going to find a gym membership for R1500 per year.

Gym is R250 a month ;) @ Virgin that is...

That must probably be with a daily session with a personal trainer...otherwise you're being shafted.

and once again i am thankful i live in kzn.

swimming - Free (pools and sea)

riding - Free

Running - Free

Hiking - Free

Game viewing - Free (granted no big boys)

canoeing/tubing/rafting - Free

and no waste of R600 dstv for me

I'm just blowing off some steam regarding the high costs of using outdoor facilities in Pretoria.

I get what you're saying.We are overcharged on utilities,property rates are high,etc. Local councils can surely offer public parks and pools for free. They make enough money from us on everything else.

The problem is this: the moment you make something too cheap, it starts inviting all kinds of elements you don't want present when you hike and bike.

Just have a look at municipal properties that is for free and not controlled. It's full of building rubble, vagrants and you have a good chance of being attacked in those areas.

I have said this in a similar thread on the hub before: You can't put a price on safety

and once again i am thankful i live in kzn.

swimming - Free (pools and sea)

riding - Free

Running - Free

Hiking - Free

Game viewing - Free (granted no big boys)

canoeing/tubing/rafting - Free

and no waste of R600 dstv for me

Sjoe, you must be rich by now with everything you save every month.

I am quite happy paying the entrance fees to places like Groenies. Small price to pay considering the amount of enjoyment I get out of them.

groenies @600pa = R50 a month. That does not sound expensive at all, considering what you get.

Which reminds me that my renewal is almost due ;)

I think we can all be happy we dont live in Europe, the cost of "outdoor" activities is insane!