creaking seatpost and/ or clamp. Any advice?

kandui

I have an Aluminium frame with a seat post which is driving me mad. It creaks when I sit on it over bumpy terrain. The bolts on the clamp are not over tightened, the saddle probably also squeaks a little, but is not the main source of the noise. The bike was recently set up and the seat post still has enough length inside the tube. I am using a KCNC double clamp which attaches to the frame and seat post. Any ideas?

Firstly, just to double check stand up when you hear the noise to make sure that it is the saddle / seatpost (sometimes it could be something else so when you stand the noise should still carry on).

If the noise stops, then it's definitely your saddle / seatpost. I found that slightly tightening my seat clamp got rid of the noise for me, but you could also try a bit of grease on the seatpost.

i had the same problem.i got the same seatpost as you,it drived me f****** nuts.

it is on the saddle rails where the seatpost mounts,take some vaseline put it on the rails and then overtighten it,just before breaking point,i know it is not ideal,but it worked for me.

hope it helps,if you break something please dont blame me.

What I found with my Thomson seatpost and Scandal frame was that the fit was not 100%, so I cut out a piece from a Red Bull tin and used it as a shim between seatpost and seattube. Creaking gone!

I had the KCNC scandium post and it creaked like a ****-house door in the wind - drove me nuts. You need to grease at the clamp and at the saddle rails as suggested above. Re-apply every few weeks if you ride in the wet.

Hi there Kandui

I had the same issue.

KCNC is your problem...

Get yourself a proper seatclamp and do the following;

1. CLEAN everything (seatpost, seat tube, clamp ect. Degrease and scrub if you have to)

2. Lightly grease everything (seat rails, tubes, post)

3. Assemble

4. TORQUE to spec

Problem solved.

If you buy components, follow this guideline:

Cheap, Strong, Light... Choose any 2

i had the same problem.i got the same seatpost as you,it drived me f****** nuts.

it is on the saddle rails where the seatpost mounts,take some vaseline put it on the rails and then overtighten it,just before breaking point,i know it is not ideal,but it worked for me.

hope it helps,if you break something please dont blame me.

And if it breaks then just turn the bolt back a 1/4 turn.... :clap:

My 2c... the seat post bolt was the culprit on my bike. Was driving me nuts and was the only thing I never checked after following most of the advice above (still all relevant and good advice though). Since replacing it with a new stainless steel one with spring loaded washer no more hassles.